Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 1968 GT390 Fastback which is a factory Highland Green car. My report from Marti Auto indicates that it is 1 of 316 Highland Green GT390 cars made that year (of which 2 where used by Warner Brothers for the movie Bullitt). I understand that the VIN # of the 2 movie cars was 8R02S125558 and 125559, of which only 125559 survives today.

My fully restored car is #126862, which is 1,303 vehicles later than these two famous cars. But my interest is in these 314 "other Bullitt" cars and how many are documented and survive today. I realise I have one myself, so am very interested in researching any info on the other 313 cars.

I believe that recording the history of the other "Bullitt" cars would be a worthwhile project, and if there is enough support, perhaps start a web site for them, similar to whats been done for other models. I have seen a couple of cars advertised for sale in VMF forum posts in recent times, so there are a few out there no doubt. I'm not wanting to record clones or look-a-like cars, only original factory R Painted 68 GT390 Fastbacks.

If anyone with this model car would like to contact me at [email protected] or www.frednolan.com, I would be interested in collecting details on these 313 little known group of Mustangs, such Vin/Warranty Tags and other owner material, which might lead to a Register being created.

Note: Do the VMF Senior Members think this is a worthwhile interest area ?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Start poking around in here and ask questions.

Movie Replicas - IMBOC
x2 The only thing is that you're going to have to weed out a lot of the riff-raff of people posting up with a non-390 highland green fastback (like myself :) )

I haven't spent much time on imboc (I post as Deke) mainly because there's not a lot of traffic in the classics department. But that would definitely be the first place I'd start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Important criteria here am I right, is that the movie cars were GT Equipment optioned and that's where the GT390 designation comes from right ? It could be that the 316 cars Marti ref's to were not all GT Equipment Group specified ????

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is nice to know other "True Blooded Bullitt Born" are out there. I have one of the true Highland Green, 390 GT Fastbacks as well. I also obtained the Marti report for the 125559 Bullitt car.

It was one of:

5488 built with this "R" paint code
355 built with these paint/trim codes (R paint/6A Black Decor)
4113 built with Engine/ Trans Code (S code/ 5 tranny code)
12,087 total GT Equipped this year.

316 Highland Green GT's just makes it more desirable. I always loved the Bullitt car and decided about ten years ago to build one. I found my current car on Ebay about nine years ago. It was white and advertised with a 302.

When I looked at it and decoded the numbers, I found it to be the real deal. Although missing the 390, it was an original 390/ Highland Green. It makes the Bullitt tribute even easier, knowing she was originally Highland Green to begin with. I finally obtained most of the hard to find parts and I am currently getting it ready to put on the rottiserie to complete the body work. I am going to stay as close to the real deal as possible. I will post when done. I would also be interested to see how many more are out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts