Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Mustang is completely naked, I have a lot of options for the hinges, latches, and other details. I'd appreciate some advice and feedback. My goal is to make everything OEM, but not be fanatical about it.

Trunk hinges: Naked, including all the torsion rods. My understanding is these should be body color - correct?

Hood hinges: Beautifully naked (and I almost looked for replacements because the job of getting several layers of paint, grease and dirt off was too awful to consider). Last night I saw a set that are supposed to be concours original: dull gray phosphate. Someone said that clearcoat on the media-blasted finish is a very good approximation of the original finish. I sprayed a section of blasted surface on the inside of an interior panel, and darned if it doesn't look pretty good. Is this good enough, or should I have them phosphate plated instead?

Door hinges: Naked. Still on the car - I have to go retrieve them for pin and bushing replacement and painting. What color or finish should they be?

Hood latch/trunk latch: still grimy. I might take them to be blasted. These should be cad plated, right?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes, all hinges, to include the doors and trunk are body color. The hood hinges are natural. Phosphate and oil as such.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, all hinges, to include the doors and trunk are body color.
I was pretty sure trunk hinges and gear were, but I seem to recall door hinges being something else. Well, that makes it easy. :)

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
The door hinges are mostly painted, but since the hinges were painted after they were attached to the car, some of the back areas might not have paint on them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The door hinges are mostly painted, but since the hinges were painted after they were attached to the car, some of the back areas might not have paint on them.
Thanks - I was hoping you'd poke in on this thread. I'm not worried about concours, just "right." I appreciate the confirmation of color, though.

Since the fenders are off and the whole cowl area needs to be sprayed, the hinges will probably get fully painted. You'll just have to hit me for a half-point. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts