Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to hook up my horns, and i have both wires from the horns but dont know where they go. I cant remember if one went to the battery, solenoid or what - and the diagrams in the books are too badly drawn to understand

Can someone give me a good description? :)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are you talking about the horns themselves (out by the radiator) or on the steering column. I can't tell from your post.

There are 2 wires out by the radiator, usually with a plastic piece on the end.

One wire goes to 1 horn. The other wire goes to the other horn. Aka, there are 2 horns.

The wire hooks up to a small metal tab on the back of the horn. There is no "ground wire", as the horn grounds through the bolt that holds the horn to the radiator support.

I would do 2 things.

1. Use a test light to make sure you've got juice (electricity) to the wires themselves.

2. Use a screwdrive and expose some bare metal where the horn meets the radiator support.

I *think* but am not sure (going by memory) that the wire is black with a blue line. But I am guessing.

If you're talking about the steering wheel area, then I'd suggest writing a much more detailed post about the issue. Remember, you're not describing the problem to yourself, your describing the problem to someone else. Reread your post (in the preview) before you post it, and make sure you've included all the details you can.

One more area. The wires going through the radiator support (down below the voltage regulator) , the main harness goes through a round hole. Sometimes wires get cut here.

If your wire is cut, then I'd suggest taking the opportunity to run relays for the horn.
Search for "partsexpress" and you'll find relay information.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.....sorry if i didnt explain right (it sounded ok to me! :eek: )

From the Radiator area. My horns worked fine, i then had to replace something in the battery area and disconnected the wires on the horns themselves. So im talking about the two actual horns infront of the rad, and where do the wires that come off of those, go to ?

I dont remember exactly, but i think one went to the solenoid.

The rest of the horn 'system' is fine - i just disconnected the two wires and dont remember where they go.

Hope thats a bit clearer ::

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
here is horn wiring:
wire 460 (yellow) come out back of headlight switch (circuit breaker in headlight switch supplies power for horn and brake light) and goes up thru steering column harness/connector to horn contacts under horn ring. then wire 482 (blue wth yellow stripe) comes out other side of switch, down steering column harness/connector, thru a firewall connector to drv side horn. then wire 482A (blue with yelllow stripe) goes from there to pas side horn. PM me if questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts