Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my ignition switch, but can't get the lock tumbler out. Turn the key to ACC, insert paper clip into the hole, but can't feel a spring depression. Spent way too much time, different paper clips (finish nails), WD40, etc. One thing I noticed is that every photo I've seen has the hole under the key slot. Mine is above the key slot. Could this have been installed incorrectly? Ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
On my 67 the hole is above and just to the left of the key slot so I think you've got it in the right way.

Not sure why your tumbler isn't coming out though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I pulled the tumbler from the new switch without issue, but the one in the car feels different. No spring button. I've tried lots of different sized wire and paper clips, soaking it with WD40, etc. I want to use the old tumbler so I don't have to rekey the doors. I guess I'll just keep trying and hoping for a different result. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
5,061 Posts
They are a pia, to remove once they've been in awhile. I've had the best luck turning the key, pull slight pressure on it then use a wire to click the release.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
The hole is at the top, just slightly left on 12 o'clock, as other have mentioned.
They are a PITA sometimes to remove and install. The more "removed" from OE/NOS the more the difficulty and age doesn't help either
if they've been installed in the car forever.
You can also re-key ignition lock tumblers to match doors......

Some of the problems with these things are also courtesy of that abortion setup that Ford sold over parts/service counter in the 90's
where the switch itself wasn't quite correct and they had a special pigtail, etc. etc. What a joke.
Lotta issues.

Pictured is NOS service parts from back in the day.

Wood Gas Font Machine Auto part

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
562 Posts
I need to replace my ignition switch, but can't get the lock tumbler out. Turn the key to ACC, insert paper clip into the hole, but can't feel a spring depression. Spent way too much time, different paper clips (finish nails), WD40, etc. One thing I noticed is that every photo I've seen has the hole under the key slot. Mine is above the key slot. Could this have been installed incorrectly? Ideas? Thanks.
Assuming it's in correctly, put the key in, then push in the paperclip and see if that helps.
Otherwise, screw something like a screw or whatever, CAREFULLY into the key hole, just enough to get a bite and use that leverage to pull on the tumbler assembly to see if U can pull it out after pushing in with the paper clip.
Good luck. 🙂

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!
I'm letting it soak with WD40 now. This thing has me talking to myself. Pushing in the paperclip in the ACC position, feels the same pushing the paperclip in the OFF position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts