Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 68 coupe and I'm changing the interior from the original (but worn) maroon to parchment. The exterior of the car will be a dark red or maroon with white c-stripe and white vinyl top. Since there is no option for parchment dash, I am wondering what color would suit it best, black or maroon. Same with the carpet- I obviosly dont want a light carpet So again the options are black or maroon. The instrument bezel is black- not woodgrain, which is why I listed black as an option for those interior pieces. Please list your opinions to try and help me out here. Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Choosing between the two I'd have to go with black.
Expecially if the dash cluster and all are black.
Just my .02

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to say go with black. The maroon would look nice, but it would look out of place compared to the black. Now if you added the woodgrain dash trim, the maroon would look really neat. Depends on what you want. Personally, I would just go with the black carpet and dash pad.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I just did the interior on our 68. I did it in blue & parchment with a black dash, dark blue door panels. Check it out below.

http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek/imag0016.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow that parchment almost looks like white...did you lacquer dye it? How did you go about painting the interior (where the parchment/white colour is) ??? what colour did you use for headliner/sunvisors?? fill me in if you could i really dont know how to colour scheme my car

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years ago, I had a 67 convertible which was vintage burgundy (maroon), with a black top and parchment interior. As I remember, parchment is fairly whitish in color. My 67 had parchment seats, door panels, horn pad and sunvisors; the dash pad was black as was the carpet. In the case of a coupe, the headliner would be parchment as well. The seat belts I can't remember; I might have an old picture at home I can dig up. I believe they were black. The steering column, doors and and lower dash were parchment. The dash panels were camera case. I don't know about a black dash pad with a white vinyl top; my car looked good with a black dash pad but I had a black convertible top as well.

Painting the interior (metal) on a Mustang isn't all that difficult. If the current paint is good, lightly sand all metal surfaces with #400, then #600 grit sandpaper. Tack rag the surface to make sure it is clean and dry. Mask everything you don't want painted VERY carefully. If you're starting with bare metal, use a primer. If you prime, go VERY lightly on the doors (you don't want to fill in the grain stamped into the doors). Using a spray gun is considered the best way to paint the interior; however, I just finished the dash gof my 68 convertible (black) using spray cans with outstanding results. Most Mustang vendors sell spray cans of interior paint (lacquer). If you want to use a spray gun, you'll need to get the paint code for parchment. Go to PPG's web page and send them an email; they'll send the paint code to you. Once you have the code, any good auto parts store should be able to mix it for you.

Good luck,

-Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 68 with maroon ext & matching interior inc the dash cap. it looks great, would not want the black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts