Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the AP-5748 light blue interior paint from NPD for my 68 coupe that has the 2-tone blue (Acapulco blue on exterior). 2B is the dataplate interior color

A test spray on the back of a kick panel just doesn't seem to be blue enough. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
That color is on the pale side. You mentioned a test on the kickpanel back. Those colors are a bit transparent-did you use a light gray primer? These paints require a primer, anyway, for good adhesion and coverage. A tip re interior painting. Oil from hands can cause a bad problem ie fisheyes. Before scuffing surface, wash surfaces with a detergent like Dawn. I also wipe surface with Iso drug store alcohol.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
That color is on the pale side. You mentioned a test on the kickpanel back. Those colors are a bit transparent-did you use a light gray primer? These paints require a lacquer primer, anyway, for good adhesion and coverage. A tip re interior painting. Oil from hands can cause a bad problem ie fisheyes. Before scuffing surface, wash surfaces with a detergent like Dawn. I also wipe surface with Iso drug store alcohol. Using a hairdryer constantly moving it, prevents blushing if painting in humid conditions.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I purchased the AP-5748 light blue interior paint from NPD for my 68 coupe that has the 2-tone blue (Acapulco blue on exterior). 2B is the dataplate interior color

A test spray on the back of a kick panel just doesn't seem to be blue enough. Any suggestions?

I bought the so called charcoal black and it is barely medium gray!
By the way not from NPD, they don't produce the paint!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got in a batch of Scott Drake L5748 Light Blue Metallic. Same silver color. Not anywhere close to light blue of the upholstery, head liner, kicks or even another light blue car.

I'm open to suggestions because I'm stopped on restoration until I can get the dash painted.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i ran into the same thing. the blue seemed way to light, almost silver. after it dried, it seemed much better. when i put the part in the car, it looked pretty good! i used a light gray primer underneath.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A friend of mine had a 10 yr old can of light blue (I guess formulated before some enviro reg kicked in), and it is correct, not silvery at all. There's no way I can use this silvery paint on my dash, doors, kicks, qtrs - it's just not right. I'm going to call Scott Drake monday and see if they have a solution. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A local restoration shop told me I could get custom made spray cans for about $16 each, with a minimum purchase of two. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I bought the so called charcoal black and it is barely medium gray!
By the way not from NPD, they don't produce the paint!
NPD paints are either Sem or Seymour. Last time I ordered paint a couple years ago it was all Sem. For paint probs with them would call their Michigan store and ask for Scott. He helped me a great deal with their 66-7 red color. What I ended up doing with the paint, , an iridescent color, got an aerosol in plain red lacquer and used it as a groundcoat, after the thin coating or gray primer.
For the black, someone on this site mentioned using the charcoal black after he ground coated with a solid shade of black ie Krylon 1613. not available anymore. But Sems also sells a semi gloss lacquer based paint which would serve well as a groundcoat.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
My uncle is a pack rat, I just found seven used cans of 1613 in his house! Pretty happy. Curious to see if it lives up to it's billing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts