Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good grief this thing is driving me nuts. how on earth does this retainer go in? I mean, I have a new ignition, but for the life of me I can't figure out how this retainer is supposed to attach, does it slip over the ignition before the ignition gets fed through the dash? The opening it not wide enough to feed the ignition wire through to attach it before I plug into the switch, so how the heck does this thing set in there to keep the ignition tight? I know there is a screw mount where it mounts to he underneath of the dash, and I see the mounting hole, but I just can't figure out how this retainer attaches to the ignition switch. I've searched all over the web and I can't get a good picture of the retainer, all the pics focus on the ignition being changed out, not showing the retainer part of the process. I must be overlooking something obvious, but I'm about ready to lose my mind. help please!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The ignition switch retainer will be mounted/located behind the dash where you cannot see it. It will be held in place by an attaching screw to the bottom of the dash. The barrel of the ignition switch will be fed from behind the dash, through the retainer, so that it clocks or indexes the ignition switch, to hold it in place when the key is turned. Then the switch bezel is screwed on to the barrel from the front... in effect sandwiching the switch between the retainer and the chrome bezel that you see around the key slot when you look at your dash. Kind of hard to explain but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
They also make a tool to screw that front bezel on to the switch.
Available from all the mustang parts places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Yes, I did find that one picture on the internet as well, but it still left me a bit confused as to whether the barrel part of the retainer was supposed to slip over any part of the ignition. That's the only part of the install I am confused on. Does the retainer go in last after I have already fed the switch through the dash and locked it down with the front bezel nut? Does the ignition wires get connected to the switch before or after the retainer is in place. when you look at the retainer, it gives the appearance that it is made to somehow slip over part of the ignition switch, but that must not be the case as the wires won't fit through it. I don't get how the retainer can effectively sandwich everything in if it's not slipped over the ignition somehow and simply just pushes up against it with all those wires? Should the barrel of the retainer be right up against the opening in the dash, I'm still not seeing how the switch can be securely set in place. thank you

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
You see that pic I posted. Mount your retainer just like that in your dash. Use a screw in the small screw hole to screw it to your dash, then slide the switch in through the only hole left in the retainer. The retainer is more of a spacer than anything.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Your ignition switch sounds like the wrong one if it has wires permanently attached. Here's mine and how it should fit together. The second pic shows the tab that should go into the notch on the retainer. Third pic is the switch slid into the retainer, not in the dash. Fourth is the retainer placed in its place in the dash. Fifth is the switch slid into the retainer in the dash. Last pic is the chrome retainer nut screwed to the switch (not completely threaded tight it Should be flush).

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gearhead, can't thank you enough for those pictures. That made all the difference in getting this through my thick skull. Seems simple now, but sometimes I just need to see something before it makes sense to me. I didn't notice that notch you pointed out on the retainer and how it aligns with the ignition switch. I've got it in. Thank you again for taking the time with those pics! Much appreciated. This forum is so helpful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts