Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any suggestions on what else to try. Here is the situation:

The temp guage gets to about half-way between min and max while driving, and about 3/4+ between min and max while idling.

I have so far replaced:

Radiator (Now has larger radiator correct for A/C)
Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses
Thermostat (195 degree)
Fan (Now has 5 blade flex-fan and fan clutch)

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have replaced the water pump, done the radiator, added flex fan and a shroud and replaced the thermostat. My guage does the same as yours with the exception that it rides at 1/4 when cruizing. I don't know if we actually have a problem or not! It doesn't climb up to the H. I do run a 195 thermostat. Maybe running a 180 would be better in summer. I know the 195 helps in the winter to heat the cabin.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of you, those gauges are not perfectly accurate. Unless you actually check it with a mechanical guage, you will not know for sure whether you have a problem. Does it boil over? Have you replaced the temp sending unit? There are many reasons for overheating, but make sure you really have a problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
PetesPonies has a valid point on making sure you've narrowed it down to the right thing. I had a similar problem with my Mach 1 that resulted in pulling the engine for a rebuild. After we got it apart, it was pretty clear why it was over heating, sludged up from being garaged without proper storage care. Prior to this we tried some of the same things that you did.

The tell tale sign was when we flushed the engine and kept seeing gunk coming back. Up to that point we had tried some of the same things that you did. Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have not replaced the sending unit - that sounds like a good idea. You mentioned testing with a mechanical guage - what kind of device can I use to test? Any idea where to get one - assuming any speedshop?

Thanks, Bruce

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the sludge that was gunking up your engine have come out by flushing it? Think that would be worthwhile for me to try?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I have been battling the same type of thing in my vert. My gauge climbs to the halfway point while cruising it will idle all day and not climb up the gauge only while driving it I have replaced the radiator waterpump thermostadt (160 now) both hoses and flushed the engine three times and it still won't come down to a normal reading so the sender is the next thing. sometimes mine spews when it is shut off and some times it doesn't so I don't know what is going on but am still trying to figure it all out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
In my case, it was so bad that flushing was bringing back crud but not getting it all out. We flushed 3 times with prestone kits and the returns were still bad. It didn't fix my problem but gave us a better idea of where the problem was after upsizing the radiator, fan, and replacing almost everything else. If you've worked through all other possible problems, your problem may be in the block and a flush may indicate it.

I think my situation was extreme. Your's may be a much simpler problem. If you haven't done so already, do a search on temperature in VMF. It seems a few folks are fighting the same problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts