Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace the rubber on my vent, especially the long felt runner on the bar- can i pull the vent window without removing the main window?

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I think you can with the main window rolled all the way down. I did when I put new channels and vent glass rubber in my 66. Seems there was a bit of wiggling, but it helped me get everything back where it should be.

Reactions: randyray02

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
It is in fact necessary to remove the vent window assembly first, if you are removing the large glass.

Reactions: Cobra6

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only want to remove the vent assembly not the main window. My first car: so take out the 4 retaining bolts and wriggle it up and out with the main window down? Glue in the new felt and then sort of slide the vent bar back down the main window and hopefully back into the slots? I just dont wanna break the main window...thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
@randyray02 That's right. It's also a great time to mark the bottom stop, remove it, and let the window down lower to replace the beltline fuzzy weather strip, raise the window and put the lower stop back on at the mark.

Reactions: Cobra6

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good time to grease up your window regulators and the guides in the window. We used white lithium grease. Maybe disc brake caliper grease would be better. I never tried it. Check for play in the window regulators, wear on the teeth. Check the plastic rollers that go on the regulator. They use to break all the time. I use to just replace them if I was in there. Cleanout the bottoms of the doors. Not cleaning them out and not keeping the drain holes open is a big cause of rust in the bottom of all doors. You might want to spray something down in there to convert any any surface rust. Can't hurt.

You might want to put a new vaper barrier between the door and door panel. Thy always get thrown away when they get torn. They are there to prevent moisture from warping the door panels. They are a water proof paper. New cars use plastic.

Water shield kit. These are important because of the fiberboard used in the door panels.
Ford - 1967-1968 Mustang Coupe Door Trim Panel Water Shield Set, 4 Pieces - Macs Auto Parts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts