Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I consider myself pretty well versed in 1968 models, and I have never heard of this one. Somebody please enlighten me.

See item 1846398082 over 'there'

I asked the seller what makes it a 'playboy' edition? His reply..."The vin. number is how I found out. It was made for Cal. when they sold all the Cal.Sp." .......what??????

Am I missing something or is this crazy talk?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
There was a 69 Convertible Playboy car. It was pink with a rumble seat in the trunk. That's all I know about Playboy cars except no REAL man would drive one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
"I have over 10,000 invested" with that nasty engine compartment and the seats need recovering? It must be gold plated where you can't see... Looks like he got ripped off and is trying to pass the savings on to the next sucker..uh owner.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I thought they were all pink. There is some controversy if they really were "Playboy specials". Where is Kevin Marti? He'll know.

I think this guy is blowing some smoke somewhere....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Actually Bishir, The pink Convertibles with the rumble seats in 69 where made for a Parade in south Michigan there were 10 of them made . They were all pink and Playboy had nothing to do with it. I know this because I saw one last month at the Mustang show and talked to the people who owned one and had the original paperwork and New's paper articlal about the whole story. They bought the car after the parade at the dealership that was selling them.

G

·
0 Posts
That's all I know about Playboy cars except no REAL man would drive one.

Heck, if there's playboy bunnies in the rumble seat, I'd have no problem driving a pink car. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Here is a good thread on the Playboy cars. The only one I've ever seen was a 67 convertible with black interior. It was nice but needed freshening up. Call it in 2-3 condition. It sold at an auction for 30K although I think it was documented.

·
Registered
305 Posts
At the last car show I went to, someone had a pink convertible. He had a display which said Playboy Pink was a Ford Option for the cost of $100.00.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on this, but if I remember correctly, 1967 was the year a Playboy Edition Mustang was offered, not 1968. Hugh Hefner gave a 1967 Mustang with a special order paint code of "Playboy Pink" to the playmate of the year. Ford tried to capitalize on it, by offering a Playboy edition to the public. I saw one about 15 years a go, and it also had a bench seat in it, don't know if they all came that way or not.

I think Ford has made other year mustangs with special order "pink" paint jobs, but wasn't considered the playboy edition, but folks continued to call it Playboy pink, even if Ford didn't. Like I said, I'm no expert on the subject and someone like Kevin Marti would surely know all the facts.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I think there was a special order paint called Playboy Pink. Other years I think the same color was called Dusty Rose. But for that price I would want some type of documentation that it was really a "Playboy Special"

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
One of my front fenders is from a pink car. I bought it in 1980 from a junk yard car that had been repainted green. I did not know it until I started dong the body work in preperation for painting and discovered pink under the green. BTW the car was a late year 67 coupe.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If it was me, I'd go with the Repro-bunnies instead of the NOS-bunnies in the rumble seat. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
A four bolt block? Anyways, here's what I find:

1968 Colors of the Month Mustangs (Denver Sales District)

For the first four months of 1968, Ford's Denver Sales District promoted certain colors for each month, corresponding to the holidays in each month. January's color was Black Hills Gold, Febuary and Valentine's Day claimed Passionate Pink, March with Emerald Green for St. Patrick's Day, and April's color was Eastertime Coral. These "Passionate Pink" cars are commonly known as Playboy Pink or Playmate Pink. It is estimated that only ten of these cars were built each month. On these cars, as well as other "Color of the Month" cars, the paint code was left blank.

OR

1968, 1969 Rainbow of Colors Mustangs

Not much is known about the Rainbow Colors promotion. Rainbow Color Mustangs were sold in the San Jose and Los Angeles Districts, and also possibly in the Seattle District. This promotion took place thoughout the years of 1968 and 1969. Rainbow Mustangs were well-advertised and listed color such as Madagascar Orange, Whipped Cream, Spanish Gold, Dandelion Yellow, Hot Pink, Caribbean Coral, Forest Green, Sierra Blue, and Moss Green.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
You're correct. The true Playboy Pink Mustang was a 1967 model.

G

·
0 Posts
If it was me, I'd go with the Repro-bunnies instead of the NOS-bunnies in the rumble seat.

[LOL] Yeah, you know I hadn't even thought of that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
If you go to zim64half's , Mustang Color Archive - www.svs.com/zim/mustang/colors.html , you'll see a `67 Playboy pink GTA coupe , black deluxe int. AM/FM , rear grills ,console ,wood wheel ,etc. 6 GTA 7 license. Was my ex's before she became an ex. She left the car with me , needless to say I sold it post haste.

·
Registered
258 Posts
No such edition. I'd like to know how he came up with his "1 of 119 made" number. Look at the serial number. It is an early car, unlike his claim about "late 68 production." Someone email him and ask for his documentation, please!

G

·
0 Posts
/forums/images/icons/crazy.gifIS this guy smoking something ?? he must believe no one will check his story . BTW if that engine has been out in the last 3000 mi and rebuilt it sure devoloped a bad oil leak quick also notice no pic of surface rust on roof one last thing ??paid local dealer 5000 to disamble and paint inside and out why was roof left un painted?????? i thought you painted roof then installrd vinal top???? if i could find a dealer to dissamble and repaint for 5grand my car would be there now ..

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
All I know is in 69 the playmate of the year was gave a pink shelby. What a marketing scheme, a naked woman with a purchase of a car. Wonder why that didn't work. I guess getting your butt kicked for driving a pink car would bite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts