Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been chipping away at installing a quarter skin on my 68. I have everything trimmed and fitted up pretty well but the door gap is giving me problems. It was fine and adjusted before i started this part of the project. Now it seems that the top and bottom i can slide my paint stick in but the middle inbetween the two peaks it looks to be just about zero clearance. I have tried moving it all around and lightly massaging it into place but don't want to get to aggressive with it before I cause myself alot of problems when i should just ask for a little help.

just about everything i have tried has made pretty much zero difference on the gaps. My b pillar is super straight and all the metal from the quarter skin seem to be flush up against it so i don't know why it doesn't look alot closer than it does.

Does anybody have an tricks on how to adjust it or trim the panel in order to get my gap closer?

thanks,
adam

·
Super Moderator
9,757 Posts
Pictures?

Full quarter, or quarter skin? The advantage of the skin, is that the original ends remain in place, while you only use the middle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures?

Full quarter, or quarter skin? The advantage of the skin, is that the original ends remain in place, while you only use the middle.
its a skin. maybe i have a different kind of skin because mine has a flange all the way around including the door jams, wheel well, and the trunk drop off area. i pretty much cleaned off all of the spot welds inside the door and around all the other areas where it has a flang and then made a cut along the top that i will butt weld in. overall i am pretty happy with how it is all fitting up except for the door which will be pretty obvious when the car is finished. if it was near the wheel well or trunk dropp off that is obviously way less important.

i will get some pics of what i have going on.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you have to, you can weld the large areas at the door edge and shape them.
It will take some time, but you will end up with a consistent gap.
I had to do this on the leading edge and bottom of the repro doors that i used.
It took some time, but the consistent gap width is nice to see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are some pics of what i am working with. the ridges on the door and panel line up good when i push on it but i didnt have enough hands to do that for the pics BA14794D-7494-4DDD-A729-63F272876411.jpeg 11CB4DFC-BBCD-4BF0-9673-C0E0367DA042.jpeg C799C4C4-6AD7-46E7-AAC2-0018226A27E9.jpeg 25F27BC3-513B-4BCD-B5DA-D628340C37EB.jpeg

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same problem with mine doing the quarter skin and door skin.
Using some careful hammering on the inner edge, I wrapped it over a bit more. It’s more flat in that area that it probably should be but it works.
image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can barely notice. i think it looks pretty good.

i just don't see me being able to move the quarter away from the door if that b pilar is straight up and the flange is already flush against it. i tried getting some flex out of it and it's solid.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I had to rework the edge on my 66 panel to get it to fit right. Some areas I had to re bend to get the best gap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts