Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '65 six cyl convertible and plan to put a 302 in it. If I use a '68 V8 rear end, which I know is longer than the '65, can I use standard wheels? I have front brakes from a Granada to install.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
It will be close, but if you use stock wheels and tires (P195/75 or thereabouts), you should have about 3/4" clearance to the inner lip edge until you get most of the way down to the sidewall bulge. No piling all your friends in the back seat though, unless you've got some new springs *G*...

This is based on some quick dimensions I took off my D-coder, which has stock wheels/tires and sits at stock height, as well as my experience in wheel/tire movement on the race car..

If you do make the change, be mindful that your options in running different wheels/tires will be pretty limited...at least if you wish to maintain a stock ride height (which I recommend)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
you could probably use late model mustang rims. Late model rims have more back spacing than early model rims. I got my set of 4 for $150 and the tires still had life in them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think a Granada rear may be more narrow than the 1968 Mustang rear. Also consider using the proportioning valve and master cylinder from the Granada. Some six cylinder Granada's with disc brakes were manual (not power assisted). Six cylinder Granada'a all had 8" rears.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I put a complete (drum to drum) 1968 9" rear in the 66 Fastback. The issues that had to be addressed were: the rear brake hose connection at the driver's side of the axle tube, the larger dia axle tubes (than the 66s) where the spring U-bolts connect the axle to the shock plates (this is true for the 1968 8" rear too), and the different length yoke in the rear center section. After these problems were ironed out, I still had to deal with the wheel/tire combination. I found that 15X7 wheels with about 5" backspacing and 245/60 BFG T/As were a perfect fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you do anything with the front to keep the track the same as the rear? Spacers on the front, upper and lower arms moved out? The wider rear wound make for abundant late model rim choices, but do the fronts set in too far?

Thanks, Steve

·
I won a special award
7,944 Posts
Did you do anything with the front to keep the track the same as the rear? Spacers on the front, upper and lower arms moved out? The wider rear wound make for abundant late model rim choices, but do the fronts set in too far?

Thanks, Steve
I know you're a new member, but um, this thread is 10 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts