Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have been sitting on this project for too long, I need to finish it up & need some answers. first, the bracket in this photo, does it go outside or inside the upholstery on the side of the frame?

next the studs for the seatback, how do i know were to put the holes in the material?
the old seat has a slit above the piping stitched around the stud but I feel if I stretch the material that much, when I cut the hole above the piping, the material will continue to tear. the other side I also do not know were to cut it,

next, do all seats materials lay out like this, like they are longer in the center so the rear line bows down?

and finally, on the rear section, by the 2 side frames, should I be securing that to the frame as well or does it just lay there? right were the slit is on eather side, you see the white slits? well the material is in question

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
What I did.

1. Bracket goes inside.
2. I just put the back on and then tapped with a plastic head mallet to mark the shaft. Careful cut with a razor blade, small "x", pull shaft thru, trim against shaft to make a hole same size as shaft. The grommet is quite big, shouldn't be a lot of stress there to tear anything.
3.Mine were straighter, has to do with how its hog ringed at the front and how tight it's stretched.
4. Hogged mine to the frame, layered the "strap" under the rear flap first. (no cuts in mine as shown in yours, are they factory?)

PM me if you want photos, my coupe set is still on the bench...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
"What I did.

1. Bracket goes inside.
2. I just put the back on and then tapped with a plastic head mallet to mark the shaft. Careful cut with a razor blade, small "x", pull shaft thru, trim against shaft to make a hole same size as shaft. The grommet is quite big, shouldn't be a lot of stress there to tear anything.
3.Mine were straighter, has to do with how its hog ringed at the front and how tight it's stretched.
4. Hogged mine to the frame, layded the "strap" under the rear flap first. (no cuts in mine as shown in yours, are the factory?)"

+1 I did exactly what dalorzo said.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Make sure you pull the covers on the sides over the frame while using a hair dryer. Heating them up stretches them and when the cool they shrink back so they are tighter (no wrinkles). I did the make the x with a razor as well. Be careful! It only takes about an 1/8" to get to go through. The back pattern will be radius'd ever so slightly. I have done about a dozen seats over the years. 68's are harder than 67's because the front parts are different. New foam makes the job a lot easier. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used new foam, new padding, new metal rods, new burlap

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my problem is if I just cut the hole were it lays now, when I put it over the stud, there willl be excess loose materials & I will not be able to pull it tighter because the upholstery is already cut.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Hard to say from your photo, but the back fabric should be hog ringed in pace before you cut the "x". Yours looks quite loose. Stretch it in place, hog ring, then cut....

Just noticed that the lower does not have a cutout on the side for the pin, this is what you are referring to not the backrest pin. What brand kit did you but? My TMI and DI (used one of each) both had a cutout for the hinge pin on the bottom...???

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dalorzo_f said:
Hard to say from your photo, but the back fabric should be hog ringed in pace before you cut the "x". Yours looks quite loose. Stretch it in place, hog ring, then cut....

Just noticed that the lower does not have a cutout on the side for the pin, this is what you are referring to not the backrest pin. What brand kit did you but? My TMI and DI (used one of each) both had a cutout for the hinge pin on the bottom...???

yes this is exactly what I am saying, i am so pissed, these are DI upholstery & now i do not know what to do I bought them last year from cj's & already did the rear seat some time back. I am pulling out the other seat material to see if it is the same but I am sure it is.
man this sucks, I do not know what to do to resolve this. i can't do any sewing like it is, I would have to remove the material from the frame again.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Bummer. Does it appear to be a mis-stitch sealing up the gap, or just made wrong? Those cuts sure don't appear in mine either...

If the vendor won't take it back contact DI directly. Maybe they'll make it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts