Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Shelby GT 500 428PI, 4 speed. Concours driven. I'm getting ready for the Mustang Nationals. Noticed a pin hole in the top tank and previously I had some leakage around the filler neck.

The upper tank and lower tank are origional and the radiator has been recored.

Is there a correct concours New radiator, that I can feel better about driving with, that is a correct replacement for the origional or should I just send it out, again, to be repaired?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
68KGOLD said:
I have a 68 Shelby GT 500 428PI, 4 speed. Concours driven. I'm getting ready for the Mustang Nationals. Noticed a pin hole ..............

Is there a correct concours New radiator, that I can feel better about driving with, that is a correct replacement for the origional.........?
No there is not. A good reproduction might pass inspection depending on the class, organization or judge but IMHO you running the risk especially considering you at least have an original to start with

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If you have an original dated L1 radiator it is well worth repairing. With a new core it is more than adequate to cool your car. Don't opt for the 4 row upgrade on the core as you'll have clearance issues from the fan

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
You actually did the best thing. Reused the original tanks where all the numbers are stamped. How about seeing if the neck and tank can be soldered?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts