Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about where in the production of 68 shelbys did the switch happen from marchal to lucas? my car has what seems to be lucas, but i have a marchal lense on one side and a lucas on the other

[email protected]
[color:green]www.ang67must.com</font color=green>

G

·
0 Posts
I have only seen it said that the Marchals were on the early cars and the later models got the Lucas. The change was due to customer complaints about the Marchals. Shelby attempted to get them all recalled for the change to the Lucas but due to customer disinterest and other factors it never happened. Maybe somebody else has an apprx # where the change was official

Greg B

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The very early '68 GT350's had the Marchal fog lamps and cast-iron intakes. They were supposed to be recalled and replaced. I am not sure that anyone could tell you an exact production #, I have seen them as late as 1100 +.
I would recommend dumping (selling) the Marchal lamp, someone probably desperately needs it - the lamps are as scarce as hens teeth. Replace it with a Lucas.

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my car is 640s i guess ill post the marchal in all honesty i think the lucas look better anyway.
thanks for the replies
mark

[email protected]
[color:green]www.ang67must.com</font color=green>

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
This is what the 1997 Shelby American World Registry says about them on page 810; "Marchal high-intensity units were chosen but at some point during production it was discovered that the U.S. Department of Transportation had never certified these particular lights, so Lucas units were substituted in their place. There was an attempt to get dealers to recall cars already sold in order to replace these lights but due to owner disinterest not every car was updated. Cars shipped outside of the United States, to Canada and Europe, continued to be equipped with Marchal lights throughout the 1968 production in order to use up the existing inventory."

Rich
1966 GT convertible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts