Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were the nonraised portions of the GT 500 wheel ever come painted?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'll just link you here. If you're already aware of this information and have additional questions, I'll do anything I can to help (<=that might not be very much)

Simple question: what color are you asking about? The 10 spokes were aluminum and came in two available finishes: aluminum and gold. I'm unfamiliar with the process that was used to produce the gold finish, so I have to say I honestly have no idea if they were painted. But I find it hard to believe that they would have been.

If yours are painted in any other finish, they are definitely not original.

...I bought a pair of interior sail panel grilles for my 1967 faatback that were sold as in "restored" condition. The seller had painted the recesses with a black paint and the fins of the grille with a silver paint. They were pitted like you wouldn't believe and the "restorer"s painting ability was on par with an 8 year old using Testor paint on their first model airplane. They were atrocious. I don't find it difficult at all to believe that someone would use subpar processes and declare their fakery "restoration."

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Mine are natural finish as well.
I was looking at the Legendary GT Continuation web site and the spec’d a GT 500 convertible with body colour painted ten spokes. Looked odd, never seen that before.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks.
Mine are natural finish as well.
I was looking at the Legendary GT Continuation web site and the spec’d a GT 500 convertible with body colour painted ten spokes. Looked odd, never seen that before.
That could be cool, but it is absolutely not concours correct.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
Meaning, back in 1968 ALL 1968 Shelby's came with hubcaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts