Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the disc brake set-up from a '68 Mustang to a '66 Mustang? I've heard this will work but that I will have problems with the lower ball joints and controll arms? If you know about this please help. What do I need to get this done? Can some type bushing be used on the '66 lower ball joint so that the '68 spindle will fit and I won't have to change controll arms and ball joints? Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
They will bolt right on to your 66. I think you will need the 68 outer tie rods and the ball joints are the same. If I am wrong someone will clear it up.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You will need the 68 tie rods

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If 68 disc brakes bolt right in, then why is the granada swap touted as the way to go, to install disc brakes on a 66?. Is there just a lack of 68 donors for this swap?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Yes, a lot more disc brake Granadas were built. Granadas were built from '75 through '80.

For my garage shelf, I bought the Global West performance front disc set up which uses '71 spindles - the ball joint size was the same but the tie rod hole was welded up and re-machined for the '65 tie rods. I hope it works as well as they say because they weren't cheap.

I paid a lot of money to maintain stock track width! LOL

Dean T

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Does a 68 swap into a 64 1/2 count? I did this because I had the spindles and wanted the smaller rotor hub. I wasn't concerned about the larger bearings. I don't recall having to change the tie rods, as the holes in the spindles are the same size as 65 drum spindles. I thought it was 70+ that had larger tie rods?? These work quite well and have been in the car for over 50K miles and it will be going to Charlotte next week.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
My guess would be because the Granada parts are much cheaper than the 68 parts. The 65 and 66 parts are even more expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts