Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a v-8 w/auto trans and a 2v carb for my 68 stang. I have gotten it to run fine in idle and have been driving it for the past week. It runs fine in idle w/not much has getting it started, but when i shift into drive it runs rough and sometimes dies. Then when driving it, it still runs rough and seems as if it is getting fuel unregularly. I have had the car for 2 months and the previous owner said that it has been sitting for over a year. I had a good used 302 installed so that can't be the prob. Do u think it needs a new carb. or maybe it just needs to be cleaned?

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Could be any number of things...carb, plugged or dirty fuel line,plugged pick up in the gas tank,or possibly electical....bad ground, plug wire(s) coil? If its been sitting,I'd start with the fuel filter and work back from there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had the fuel line replaced when the engine was installed b/c it was kinking. I don't think its electrical cuz when i first got it the wiring was backwards and i had a mechanic rewire it.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Ok....you replaced the fuel line...you didn't re-use the fuel filter did you? If so replace it! The "sitting" for a year opens the door for various things...if the carb totally dried out it very well could be time for a kit? But I'm guessing its something in the fuel flow....can you tell if the tank has ever been replaced? If not, try draining and see how much grude is in the gas...also...double check all the plug wires at the plugs and on the dizzy...make sure their snapped on tight. ( when you say runs rough...is it a miss? or does the whole motor act like it wants to shut down?) Also, if its been rewired ...double check that all the connections are tight.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Do the things Ken recomends and also think about the fuel pump. Pretty cheap to replace. Make sure you are getting enough gas throught it, if you are then start with the electrical or timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts