Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

All the time I've owned my '68 GT/CS, it has had a cheesy aftermarket wheel. I finally decided to replace it with a stock repro wheel, so I ordered a bunch of parts that CJ Pony had on big-time sale over Christmas. What I'm missing now is the main steering pad, but it seems I'm not able to find the pads at any of the vendors I've searched so far (I see pads for other years, but not for 68).

So, can anyone confirm that there are no repro parts for these 68 pads? Anyone recommend a good source for used parts? It seems odd that a vinyl part (that is likely not to age well over 40+ years) would be the one part that is not reproduced...

Many thanks for any info.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just looked in NPD's catalog and I couldn't find it in there, looks like they have every part you need for the '68 wheel and for the pad but not the pad itself. You can just call them and ask, I'm sure they have it. You can also search ebay, that's where I got mine. It's used on several '68 models to btw, like the Torino/Montego and such, so you can always add that to your searches. Also, if you don't have one alret, a factory service manual is a good companion to have.

Check these folks out for the pad too, Mustangs & More they can get it used and original or a new repop, real good peeps there.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I bought an entire steering wheel just to get the pad. If the steering wheel has cracks then it doesn't add much to the cost. Just be patient and ask for a LOT of pictures to verify that it is not warped or split.

·
Registered
247 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts