Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to reset the miles back to 0 on the upper numbers. I cant not get the dail out. Not made like a standard face. Has a rubber bushing holding it, I did remove the locking clip. but still will not come out. 68projectcar

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any info will help, I just dont want to break something. restoring car, If I cant get it, I will have to send out to have done.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The upper 5 digit number you are referring to is the odometer and is not intended to be reset. Why do you want to reset it? The lower 4 digit counter is the trip odometer.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because I have restored the car from the ground up. I want it to show O miles on the new drive train.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Difficult to do by design. I suspect that it is illegal in most cases. When replacing a failed unit, I don't know if it's legal to change the replacement to match the old, or if the legal process is some sort of paperwork that would be attached to the title.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Resetting it requires pulling gauge out. Turn it over. Been a long time. unhook center metal shaft the numbers wheel rides on. Spread numbers apart as they have "teeth", then rotate as needed.
Many years ago I had to replace my orig speedo cluster as it was rusty, bad shape. When I got another orig type, I needed to rest that one to my orig miles.
So in my case, I did the right thing. So there can be a ligit reason.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, Thank You, I will try that. I know it can be done, I have done many on my other Mustangs, But the trip ometer housing is made different from the standard housing. I will try, THANKS

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Did you see the video on this other thread last week?

I haven't done it but it looks like you've just got to pop the clip off and remove the whole dial from the gauge. Assuming they're similar year to year of course.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The video is on a standard speedometer, The trip meter is not the same, made different. Yes I removed the locking clip, shaft with the numbers will not come out, no room to move back and forth.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great, Now how did you get it out. I know how to reset the numbers, I just cant get it out of housing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts