Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well thanks to the wife getting a new camper, and waiting on an inner splash guard for the left side rear ( back ordered ). I did not get to get to work on the car much this month. Turned it around and cleaned the paint off the left fender, and was shocked to find little to no bondo there. The headlight bucket was beyond repair and had to get another one. Now I know new parts don't fit well. But Really !!!! The more I removed and shifted the darn thing it would not sit properly, and the more I looked at the fender, I found multipal bent supports. After straitening out what I could. It fit good enough for me. The fender on the other hand, let's just say that thing almost won. The lower section near the door was about 2 inches away while the top seam was good. This took me several tries and I finally found that the door dropped in the front just enough that the bottom gap gave it away. So I climbed back into the ring and wrestled it so all my lines were good. ( if I were to guess, that fender was removed about 12 times, good thing only two bolts were used to hold it up.) Got the headlight and marker installed. I was working on the hood between matches with the fender, I decided to see what was under the paint. Found the front right with excessive bondo along with dents and cracks all on the front edge. Just for kicks I will try to repair it. There is nothing to loose but time. The thought process is to pull the dents out with a slide hammer, or patch it up and weld the cracks. Basically try what I did with the trunk, also found that the right headlight bucket does not match the hood line ( the top curve is dropping about 1/2 " ) I have a few different directions I could go, so I will think about it for a while as I work on the hood.
20200721_201021.jpg 20200721_201042.jpg 20200706_152853.jpg 20200706_154353.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
cleaned the rear and both front rock guards and decided to replace the hood, the more I welded, the more rust I found. it would be better to replace it at this time. so now the money is slowing me down. I will get the headlight bucket first, then the hood. so instead of waiting, I started reassembling. Installed the fuel tank and fuel line. Got the tail lights and rear bumper on, WOW!!! what a motivation to keep going. Taped up the wiring harness and ran the wire from rear to front on both sides. got the speaker wiring ran to rear and both fronts. ran wiring to dome light and got it to work properly. Next I started installing the interior. Put sound barrier on the floor, moisture barrier on the doors ( yes it is a 3 mil yard bag ). built new rear deck out of plywood.( had extra lying around ). cleaned and repainted the rear inner panels. installed seats and all other parts in loosely, I know I will have to remove them again to install the carpet, headliner, and finish installing the sound matting. Granddaughter and Son are both excited to see it look like a car again....so am I but I know what still needs to be done. and it is a long list.

20200803_162820.jpg 20200806_141307.jpg 20200805_142101.jpg 20200807_195002.jpg 20200807_195039.jpg 20200808_190100.jpg 20200807_194937.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: blueovalfan68
41 - 42 of 42 Posts
Top