Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody had a close up pic of their dash mounted VIN tag (last digits can be blurred or cropped). I was wanting to see the rivets and shading/colors, etc.

My issue arises from my car being a 68 but had many parts put on from a 67 parts car including the dash. I still have the apron VIN on the drivers side but I have to get a VIN check for title and I suspect the official wont know better that the apron was superceded to the dash in 68. But that said, I wanted to see what its supposed to look like up in the window as I have found some options out there (yeah I know all the things you are going to say), but there are folks who do this. A pic would be appreciated, or at least a detailed description of what its supposed to look like?

Also, what are the numbers that are stamped on the drivers side trunk corner? Its the small welded on corner piece that is right above the tail light when you have the deck lid open. There are some numbers there but several paint jobs on top, makes them about impossible to make out.

Circled in pic below (not my car):

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
No real shading or colors, black stenciled border around the VIN on an aluminum tag. The rivets can't be seen when installed. Originally a special rosette rivet, as this was on the floor of the car when I bought it (corroded off) I just had a replacement done (Marti still did them back then) and pop rivited it in place... I think some folks sell the specail rivets, $5-10 each, but as you have to take the dash pad off to see them I didn't wory about it..

Mounted it fits in a slot in the dash pad (original in a second car below).

The numbers are probably the date code for the sheet metal. B 21 D = Feb 21 D shift, etc. No year.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Looks just like the example in the 68 shop manual.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm in the same boat, sorta. The vin tag on my 68 is long gone. I have looked at every 68 I've ever seen at a car show since and I'd estimate that 4 out of 5 are missing the vin tag. The way it was attached in 68 was very obviously an ill-conceived, last minute band-aid to comply with a new directive to put a vin on the dash. Its riveted underneath the dash pad, then folded over the edge of the dash pad and the metal trim attached over that. The tag itself over the years becomes adhered to the vinyl such that it would be very difficult to remove the dash pad without ripping the vin tag out with it. And years ago, most amateur restorers wouldn't have cared or thought they needed to bother. At least we have vin stamps in other places on the car. Mine has the same vin on the fender aprons, the buck tag and the door tag. I'd like to have an authentic vin tag tho just so everything looks more factory original.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
68 VIN Tag

Here's mine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Those are great pics. Its not exactly what I pictured. Looking at a 68 dash pad, I was thinking the number showed through the window in the pad like a modern car, rather than being stuck through it like a flap. Being mounted under the pad it almost looks more like a business card sticking out of one of those dispensers you see by the cash register at a restaurant.

That all said, with exception to the stenciled border, now that I see what it is, I think I might have some very capable CNCs at work that would be perfect for something like this.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Thanks guys. Those are great pics. Its not exactly what I pictured. Looking at a 68 dash pad, I was thinking the number showed through the window in the pad like a modern car, rather than being stuck through it like a flap. Being mounted under the pad it almost looks more like a business card sticking out of one of those dispensers you see by the cash register at a restaurant.

That all said, with exception to the stenciled border, now that I see what it is, I think I might have some very capable CNCs at work that would be perfect for something like this.

The VIN border is availible as a decal. Can't say if it's any good or garbage. Found it in my Mustangs Unlimited catalog EM34 page 343 in the decals section. Part CSW205.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I dont know anything about special rivets, etc. This car has been in my family 43 years since Jan 1968. This VIN tag has never been removed or altered.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Been getting questions of how dash VIN looks/is mounted. How it looks with the pad removed.

Slim

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
I dont know anything about special rivets, etc. This car has been in my family 43 years since Jan 1968. This VIN tag has never been removed or altered.

Your plain aluminum rivets are correct.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
The VIN border is availible as a decal. Can't say if it's any good or garbage. Found it in my Mustangs Unlimited catalog EM34 page 343 in the decals section. Part CSW205.
I have seen complete, new VIN tags, too.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
A guy on the parts wanted forum wasn't sure if 67 and 68 pad is same although the 68 has the dash VIN. I brought this post up to show how the pad slips under the VIN.

·
Registered
367 Posts
excellent info, thanks for bringing this thread to my attention slim!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
Also, what are the numbers that are stamped on the drivers side trunk corner? Its the small welded on corner piece that is right above the tail light when you have the deck lid open. There are some numbers there but several paint jobs on top, makes them about impossible to make out.
Probably the date code.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts