Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed anoter post about puting a 68 rear end in a 66 coupe. The post said that there would be clearance problems and tire/rim limitations. I have access to a 67 8" and was told that it is a direct bolt-up and that aside from the larger brake drums and the 1" width difference that it will pose no problems. Is there a big difference between the 67 and the 68? Or am I possibly missing something else? I don't want to go through the hassle of going through the 67 8" if it is going to be a headache to find wheels and tires, or during installation.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
67 through 71 are the same, width-wise...

Read

With the stock rear fenderwell lips (about 1") and the other parts that I mentioned in the other thread, I measured about 2" of clearance from the beginning of the sidewall bulge to the lip with the stock rear, which is 2" narrower than the one you desire to install. I subtracted 1" for the wider rear and 1/4" for measuring/locational errors.

The 3/4" clearance should allow for chassis and tire flexing but, with a substantial load in the back seat and during cornering, my instincts are that the lip will get close to the side wall (stock ride height). Hence the commment about limiting friends..*G*

I've seen the sidewalls on the race car move over an inch, and that's just on a slow speed turn onto the return road, albeit at much lower tire pressure with thinner sidewalls...

Better safe than sorry, eh?? *G*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hay camachinist, thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that in the long run I might be better off just finding a 9" that exactly matches my width. I don't really NEED this rear end, it's just that my car was originally a 6cyl. and I want to switch to 5 lug wheels. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Finding a 9" to fit the '65-66 width is increasingly difficult, as the vehicles with that width are harder and harder to find (they were even back in the early 80's).

The 8" units are still plentiful and, for most applications, quite sufficient. I've often recommended to owners of inliner Pony's who wish to upgrade the suspension that the most cost-effective way to do this is to buy a rustbucket V8 rolling chassis or complete car of their particular year, do the swaps, sell off the rest of the useable parts and then junk the hulk.

Another alternative is to have a 9" narrowed to the required width (or something slightly narrower) and purchase aftermarket street axles (pretty inexpensive these days)...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Believe you had a typing error camachinist. We don't want to confuse anybody, but like stated on the section you put under READ. There are bacically 3 different widths. The 65-66, the 67-70, and the 71-73. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The lists I quoted have existed in M&M for about 3 years now undisturbed and are quoted widely here and on other forums

I got into this bucket once before with some users here and, if you read the lists, there is some ambiguity about the 71 model year widths, both in Mustangs and other Ford and Mercury products. The best way to solve the confusion is, if you have quantifiable evidence, like a tape measure across a '71 housing, please e-mail the guys at M&M...Dan Jones will be more than glad to update his lists with your information.

Look forward to more valued contributions from you....looking all this stuff up gets a bit wearying at times... I have the M&M articles in keyboard shortcuts because I use them so often here..*G*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear end in a 72 mustang, for instance, is definately wider than a 67. I don't think horsehead was arguing, but just reading your source under the "read" url. As I read it, I thought it was strange that it did not list any axles or housings for a nine inch until 1967. Maybe that means whoever made up the list knows how hard and expensive the 1965/66 "K" code car rear ends are?? :)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
His post caused me to go back and re-read the info and I found a number of contradictions in the specifications, mostly around that 71 model year.

As my expertise is with the earlier Pony's, I hope some of the hobbyists working on the later ones will e-mail Dan and Dave and get them to straighten those specs out, given the wide use of the resource.....I'd put up a resource of my own but I'd end up copying most of theirs, which is something I don't like doing.

I can only imagine how rare those 9" for 65-66's are....I had a hard enough time finding one for my 67 when street racing it back in the 70's....the race car has a narrowed 57 wagon housing in it.

Take a look at this resource from Dan Jones and see how it compares...fewer discrepencies.

Hey, if all this helps someone, I guess we've done our job, eh?? *G*

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
The M&M info is excellent information. Everyone should print and file this info..Thanks for the link. I'm really only talking about mustangs rears and the various widths in them. Earlier when you said 67-71 was the same width, I just thought it might confuse someone. (thought it was a typo.) but I was not considering other makes of cars. I only deal in mustangs, and like said, not trying to argue, but know the 67 is narrow than the 71. (at least in mustangs) Glad to find out about the 74 Maverick rear is narrower than the 65-66 on the list. When i bought my rear I put under my 70 FB (semi-pro street) I was told it was out of a Maverick. I can get 15X10's weld wheels under the rearwell''s and have two inch lowering blocks on it, to lower it. It does not rub anywhere. Sits level, looks tubbed. Have over 100 mustangs here so have plenty to measure but I know the info given on the MUSTANG housing widths are pretty much correct anyway. About some of the other cars listed, don't have a clue. Happy Mustanging. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Jim,

If you've compiled data/dimensions from your inventory of Pony's, I'm sure VMF'ers would be very appreciative. If you don't have a web site, I'd be happy to host the information for you with appropriate recognition for your work. The pages would look a lot like the links in my sig line.

IME here, this kind of info, along with engine building info, is the most used and most repeated *G* stuff we go through.

Feel free to PM me or contact me through my web site if you're interested...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts