Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to put in the speaker. AC dash vents in the way. Remove it. Install speaker. Speaker is now in the way of the dash vents.

Catch 22.

It seem the only way is to drop the under dash boxes to get the vents in from below, unbolting them from the firewall, which seem extreme.

Tips, tricks or some magic potion. ???

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
HMM....only thing I can think of; Is the speaker an original one?
The factory dash speaker that I removed from my Coupe was very flat,
it only had a depth of 2 to 2 1/2". It was toast, so I chucked it.
(I think that's why everyone adds speakers to the kick panels.)
Wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Yeah, big speakers are a problem with 67-68 AC cars. What speaker you tryin' to use?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Went to put in the speaker. AC dash vents in the way. Remove it. Install speaker. Speaker is now in the way of the dash vents.

Catch 22.

It seem the only way is to drop the under dash boxes to get the vents in from below, unbolting them from the firewall, which seem extreme.

Tips, tricks or some magic potion. ???
Are you saying the speaker won't fit once it's in? I'm sure you read
the fine print on some 67/68 speaker listings saying w/o A/C only.

I once considered using one of those dual voice coil speakers along with my kick panel speakers in my vert but they don't fit with factory A/C!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, bought the weenie "supposed to fit AC" version. Tried the dual coil first but it became very obvious it wouldn't work...

Oh well, more struggles next weekend.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm looking at Fic.5 page 16-14 in the 68 Shop manual. IIRC many years ago I had the dash pad off and replaced the speaker while it was off. You've had your 68's apart recently wouldn't the speaker replacement be easier when the pad is off?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removing is probably not much help, the speaker installs from below and the inst cluster and center piece are out, so pretty decent access that removing the pad won't change much....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts