Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the oil dipstick tube and the dipstick itself the same for both a 69 302 and a 351W? I am pretty sure the timing cover is identical, however I don't know if the dipstick and tube were lengthened to account for the higher deck of the 351W... My originals are toast, and I only seem to see 302 parts in the catalogs.

Thanks in advance,
-Rory

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Rory, I'm almost 100% sure that they are the same for 302 & 351w. I had the same problem you did and discovered that the Scott Drake repo is 100% incorrect. They are selling a 1970 version for 68/69. I had a hard time finding one used. After a year I ended up buying a complete timing cover that had one from ebay. That was for the green car that you judged.

I just recently bought an NOS one off e-bay for another project. Here's the Link its partnumber C90Z-6754-B. Perhaps you can contact the seller and see if he has another one? I think he does.

Chris

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Actually I doubt you can see a part number, though you should be able to resolve this anyway... I have seen a couple (inconclusive and questionable) sources that indicate the 351W dipstick tube is over 1 inch taller than the 302 tube. Although exact measurements would be difficult on the car due to the curve in the tube, if you could measure the height from where the tube enters the timing cover to the top of the tube it should tell me what I need to know...

Once again, exact measurement is not necessary; I am looking to confirm a difference of over an inch!

Thanks in advance,
-Rory

P.S. If it is not too much to ask, could you compare the length of the dipstick too?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I believe they are different. I've been hunting down a dipstick and tube for almost years for my 69 351. Finally came across a used set on ebay last month. They were absolutely perfect and $35 shipped!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
According to the Ford Master Parts Catalog the correct partnumber for the 351W dipstick tube is C9OZ-6754-A which is 13 11/16" long

for a 302 its
C9OZ-6754-B which is 13 3/16" long

So the 351w tube is 1/2" longer than the 302 for 1969. So you could install either and I doubt anyone would know. As a side note the disptick tube used on 302's in 1968 was 10 1/4" long. Now that I think about it, that's probably what Scott Drake is selling as a 69 part.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris,

A possible ramification of the different height is that it may also imply a different dipstick... Does the master parts catalog list two dipsticks? Does it also give an overall length?

BTW - The latest NPD catalog lists a 69 dipstick tube with a length of 13 11/16ths... Though when looking at your car the only people that will notice your dipstick tube are those who read this thread! ;)

-Rory

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The book calls out the same part for 302 & 351w - C9OZ 6750A. It also states the the distance from the top shield to the FULL line is 20.37". As I recall the partnumber is stamped on it.

I'm not sure why the tube would be longer for a 351w, when the dipsticks are the same length.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well my tube is the right length. My dipstick is 20 7/16" from the top of the top shield to the full line so that also sounds about right. Just have different part #s..

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I'm guessing that th e"book" is the MPC. So its may be listing the part number rather than the engineering number (the one stamped on that part) or that it lists the number for a later service replacement part that would work in place of the original (often done in the MPC)

Just a thought

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.