Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to install a C9OE-9430-B RH exhaust manifold on my 65 Comet. I just noticed that the studs for the flange are farther apart than the 289 manifolds I have (about 2 9/16" compared to 2" for 289). Anyone have a parts source for the exhaust flange...the one that secures the exhaust pipe flare to the manifold? And does this mean that the donut gasket is different between 289 and 351W too?

Thanks

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
Yes, the 351 had 2.25" exhaust, so it uses a bigger "donut" than the 289/302.

Ah, what are you using on the LH side?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, what are you using on the LH side?
This manifold: 73 Maverick.

65 Comet/Falcon engine compartments pretty tight so 65-66 Mustang Hipo manifolds dont fit. There were 63-65 Comet Hipo manifolds produced for awhile. Similar to the 65-66 Mustang units but a little slimmer in the middle to fit between the shock towers. Impossible to find. So the next best thing for us Comet guys is a Maverick 302 manifold on the driver side and 69 Mustang 351W manifold on the pass. side. They both look to be similar (not exact) to the Mustang Hipos in size, and more importantly the LH is shaped just right to get a dual exhaust on the car...something those cars never came with.
Heres the RH 69 Mustang unit:

And heres the stock V8 Comet/Falcon LH manifold; Kind of hard to see but the outlet points straight down. Not the right angle to get the pipe pointed to the rear:

Sometimes it hurts to be a Comet driver.

Thanks for the info 22GT.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts