Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 years of sitting on my shelf. Probably won’t use at this point.
F5759467-28FE-4D1A-A93B-05F5101652B2.jpeg
F5759467-28FE-4D1A-A93B-05F5101652B2.jpeg
6E8BC747-DE56-48A9-B0C4-1F4B32ABCD6A.jpeg
C7440250-E997-4718-BEB5-C8D084D8305B.jpeg
471B2FD5-4CD6-4F5E-A530-FFBAB08AF13F.jpeg

Not planning to post on forum as shipping prices are crazy. May list locally .
69 351W heads with 1.94 , 1.6 valves , dual springs and ported .
What is a current asking price for these?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
C6, maybe 200 $ for the pair ? They need a fresh valvejob because they sat, and the bowls need to be opened, and if it were me, I'd add hard seats under the exhausts. But the studs and guideplates are in, and the port smoothing looks nice. Where are you, anyways ? LSG

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
C6, maybe 200 $ for the pair ? They need a fresh valvejob because they sat, and the bowls need to be opened, and if it were me, I'd add hard seats under the exhausts. But the studs and guideplates are in, and the port smoothing looks nice. Where are you, anyways ? LSG
He's in Washington State.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,534 Posts
I'd agree with @LSG but I'd do something about that rust asap (boeshield is a great rust preventative). If not the value goes down with condition.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m 30 miles north of wacky Seattle

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
C6, well, damn. If you had told me when I visited my brother in Seattle last year,........they'll make nice heads for someone closer than me. LSG

·
Registered
202 Posts
IMHO, valve seats should only be put in iron heads only after 500K miles and only if new valves are too low, but that's just me not wanting the chance of seats popping out when the seats are not necessary.

·
Registered
See my 1967 parts needs in my signature below!
712 Posts
I have a pair of '69-70 351W heads with screw in studs, guide plates, very nice port work, hardened exhaust seats, triple springs & Manley undercut valve stems. After getting AFR aluminum heads, I tried selling the vintage heads for $250 about 8 years ago. No takers, so I just kept them and recently installed them on a mild 5.0L. Knowing what I had in them, it just wasn't worth selling them in the end.

Reactions: rpm and c6fastback

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fastenal offers affordable freight for heavy stuff - you can send it from any one of their stores to any* other one. *I think they have things split up east and west and don't transfer between. So you could fairly cheaply get the heads to anyone roughly west of Texas who is near another Fastenal store. Just a thought so you could broaden your market for selling the heads.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
fordfirst, what on this green earth are you talking about ? Hard seats are about durability. In 35 years of machine shop work, I have NEVER seen one fall out. And the shop I retired from installed THOUSANDS of them. I've only done hundreds, myself. They will NOT fall out. LSG

·
Registered
202 Posts
fordfirst, what on this green earth are you talking about ? Hard seats are about durability. In 35 years of machine shop work, I have NEVER seen one fall out. And the shop I retired from installed THOUSANDS of them. I've only done hundreds, myself. They will NOT fall out. LSG
Seen popped out seats myself, it happens. Then again, a machine shop busted one of my 312 Y block main threads by torquing a long bolt in a short hole. I should start a machined fail thread. I been around longer than 35 years.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
FordFirst, it would seem, then, you had a seat installed by someone who doesn't know how to do it. Almost every engine now made, with auminumheads, has seat inserts. It REALLY isn't that hard to do. Many, many 312 blocks were broken becasue of a misprint in several editions of the torque manual. Called for 150 lbs on mains instead of the correct 90~100. LSG

·
Registered
202 Posts
LSG, we all know there is a place for valve seat inserts, just like guide inserts. When it comes to up selling seat inserts on vintage heads that don't need them, the sales pitch needs to be challenged. If putting in valve seats makes the cost of refurbishing old iron heads not practical, then you lose more business than you gain by selling seat inserts. My position is not to put in the inserts and extract the use out of the head, instead of cutting on the head for the sake of preventive maintenance. Most vintage engines will not see the higher mileages the inserts promise. I would rather have a early 351W head without cut seats and without runner porting. Taking out the air hump in the exhaust is reasonable. So why not try to get 2-3 valve jobs before you have to put in the seats? Just the way I see it.

Some 312's had short caps with short bolts and long caps with long bolts on the same block so bottoming out a thread is bad no matter what the torque is.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Do you have any springs and valves or as shown? The cost of valves, springs and probably $250 or more to get a valve job plus the cost to add hardened seats if needed will add up the cost quickly. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it is hard to get an old set of heads set up for the cost of new heads anymore. A set of Edelbrock E-Street heads can be had for around $1,000. While those heads look nice, I wonder if they would flow any better than the new aluminum versions???

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
ff, 'seat inserts on vintage heads that don't need them' ?! really ? WTF ? If you worked at a machine shop for a living, and you saw dozens and dozens of heads that need inserts for unleaded, you'd understand. I saw factory iron heads with sunken seats EVERDAY. Some times just two out of four on a head, usually all four. Some were pounded down almost a quarter of an inch. It isn't about 'selling seats' it is about making the head useable when previously it was not. LSG

·
Registered
202 Posts
LSG, I seen plenty of old heads that could go without seat inserts. Fords had a better chance of longevity with exhaust ports spaced evenly as opposed to Chevy's with the siamesed exhaust ports next to each other take a pounding with the extra heat. I am not arguing that exhaust seats should not be used, they can save the head.
Unleaded fuel still has additives for valve wear. Old heads before unleaded do not have induction hardened seats, but they can become work hardened.
Yes, you need seat inserts for aluminum heads, can't run without them, but they are designed for them, and most old iron heads were not designed for them. When an engine overheats, aluminum can dissipate the heat quickly, iron heads not so much. If you get an exhaust manifold red colored from heat, you can bet the exhaust seats are even hotter.
If the head is usable without seat inserts, why take a chance on using them? Because it's bread and butter for some.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes , I have dual springs , valves and roller tip rockers. Guess I forgot to mention the important details when I asked about a selling price .

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
FF, it seems that you may have had a bad experience on seats, maybe installed by someone who didn't know how to install them. The 'why take a chance' comment explains it. in 35 years we have never had a seat drop out of an iron head. Not 1. It just doesn't happen. Where are you getting the idea that it can ? If C6 lived clser to me, I would totally buy those heads, install hard seats under the exhaust, and maybe even under the intakes, and cut down the intakes to 1.9.

C6, do you know how long are the valves you have, and do the roller tip rockers have guiderails or not ? LSG

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm still learning Ford's, but isn't 1969 considered the best year for factory 351 W heads in regard to combustion chamber size and valve size?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
&4R, yes, the early windsor head is well thought of, and the 69 & 70 were sought after. I also like some of the 70s heads that have the bigger 1.84 /1.54 valves and the smaller plugs. Begining in 77, IIRC, the 302 and the 351W both get the same head, which has the 1.78 / 1.45 valves and the big 70 + cc chambers. Not much love for those.
LSG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts