Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 351w that I'm installing an Edelbrock's Top end kit. This is advertised to deliver about 400 hp. I need to purchase a water pump as I assume the original iron one my not be the right for this. I'm looking at the Milodon #16239 standard flow and they also make a High Flow water pump #16330
I will be using a standard 24" radiator,but which water pump should I go with?? Standard or High Flow for a street driven only car
Many Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
No such thing as “too fast” through the radiator. Besides, the thermostat will naturally restrict flow.
If you use under-drive pulleys then you might need a high flow water pump to make up for the slower pump speed. (Which kinda defeats the purpose of a under-driven water pump pulley)

With standard pulleys a standard flow water pump will work fine.

·
Registered
34,676 Posts
You should be okay with the standard flow. Where the "high flow" pump has some advantage is that it can generate a bit more pressure within the block that will raise the boiling point of the coolant by a few degrees. If you had/have an issue with a hot spot around a cylinder or combustion chamber where just a bit of a raise in boiling point would keep the coolant from turning to steam it could make a difference. Other than that, the flow is going to be regulated by the thermostat and by the smallest restriction in the system.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Boss, I would get the HV, if it has a cast and machined impellor, instead of a stamped steel one. Can't have too much water flow, no such thing. What are you doing with the old 351W iron heads ? LSG

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've had good luck with the Edalbrock Victor water pumps. They cme in both standard and reverse designs. Both have billet impellers, and the water line bungs are brass screw in vs pressed in steel tubes.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Boss, I would get the HV, if it has a cast and machined impellor, instead of a stamped steel one. Can't have too much water flow, no such thing. What are you doing with the old 351W iron heads ? LSG
That's great as long as you do not mind the power to push extra water that may not be needed.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
the only issue i can see that might pop up from a high volume pump is the possibility of cavitation, even at lower speeds. the high volume pup would be a good idea if you plan on running under drive pullies, otherwise the stock pump for a street engine will do just fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question If I get the aluminum water pump do I need to use different bolts other than what I would use if I used the iron cast water pump??

Not doing anything with original heads for now, back in my shed with the rest of my extra stuff

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Boss, generally, the aftermarket aluminum pumps are built to use the standard length bolts. LSG

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
66Coupe, I have never seen a water pump test done on hi volume v std, but it the oilpump tests I have seen, the HV pump ate about another 1 hp per 100 that was made. High volume waterpumps usually have a swirl shaped cast & machined impellor, which may pump more efficiently than the normal paddle style pump. The only reason the paddle pumps even exist is because they are cheaper to make. More flow is better in this case, I think. Any power loss would exceptionally small, if any at all. LSG

·
Registered
261 Posts
My thinking is the biggest problem is when you have to idle in stop and go traffic. That is where you will over heat the most. So which would help you more at idle? I'd say the high volume water pump might have an advantage.

·
Just some guy
20,019 Posts
Down the road from me some is a place called Griffin Radiator. They are a production radiator factory but will happily custom build you a radiator if need be. One of the questions they ask before doing so is if you are going to run a high flow water pump. If so then, they will build you a high flow radiator. Just saying it's not just me that thinks these two things go together. Most folks seem to want to ignore it as the water pumps are on every shelf and high flow radiators rather more difficult to come up with.

I've yet to ever run anything that needed a high flow water pump myself.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Guys, remember when there used to be, and maybe there still are, two pumps available for the same engine ? In our old Stangs, the choice would be between whether or not you had air conditioning. The non A/C cars got a paddle pump, the A/C equipped cars got a more expensive pump with a better ( cast & machined ) impellor. The marine engine pumps have the better impellor ( in the marines the impellor is bronze ). Is the std or high flow differences just a clever way of marketing what used to be a nice pump for an engine with an air conditioner ? :unsure: LSG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts