Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, during a water pump change due to it leaking, I changed out my fan in hopes of getting a little extra cooling. I went from a 6 blade to a 7 blade and changed the clutch along with it. The 6 blade sat about a half in closer to the radiator and now the car is running hotter, will get up to about 210. The 6 blade ran about 200, or a little under. Think I got a faulty fan clutch with the 7 blade?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Greg02, ummm, could it be it is because you installed your new 7 blade fan BACKWARDS ? I'd swap it around and see what happens. Next time drink the beers AFTER the waterpump fix !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: LSG

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg02, ummm, could it be it is because you installed your new 7 blade fan BACKWARDS ? I'd swap it around and see what happens. Next time drink the beers AFTER the waterpump fix !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: LSG
Well crap! I was more interested in the spacing than the pitch of the blade. Thanks for pointing that out. But now I'm even more confused, because the center is cupped toward the front of the car and it's marked front?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The set up on my 428 car. C8OE-B 7 blade fan w/clutch. Blades are no closer than 1.25" to the radiator core. Fan Blades are just about half in and half out of the shroud. Runs usually in the 195 degree range. Stock water pump and OE block. Fan mounted with the stamped FRONT forward.
Brian

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The set up on my 428 car. C8OE-B 7 blade fan w/clutch. Blades are no closer than 1.25" to the radiator core. Fan Blades are just about half in and half out of the shroud. Runs usually in the 195 degree range. Stock water pump and OE block. Fan mounted with the stamped FRONT forward. View attachment 803166 Brian
This the way I had mine mounted and it was getting hot, and the other fan that's pitched the other direction doesn't overheat? What am I missing here.

·
Registered
36,699 Posts
Oddly enough, the new fan is correctly installed. Perhaps you should try the old clutch. Of course, the thermostat is supposed to regulate the engine temperature.

This is correct-

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Your old fan looks like it was installed backwards, the new one looks correct.

Reactions: gregb

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oddly enough, the new fan is correctly installed. Perhaps you should try the old clutch. Of course, the thermostat is supposed to regulate the engine temperature.

This is correct-

I purchased a new clutch, because the two don't interchange.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do you live in Australia? They might turn in the opposite direction there :D

Reactions: pollock

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
If you are not satisfied with the new set up why not return it to the way it as before?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Greg02, perhaps the six bladed fan is more tolerant of spinning backwards, and perhaps the new clutch you have comes on at a different temperature. LSG

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
When looking at fan clutches not all are equal. Some of them are offered in heavy duty that can spin an extra 15-20% than standard clutches.

·
Registered
546 Posts
When you mount a fan backwards, its efficiency drops off dramatically.

The fact that the car ran cooler with a backward 6-blade than it does with a 7-blade mounted the correct way indicates that the fan clutch isn’t working correctly. I just got an AC Delco clutch that I’m convinced isn’t working correctly.

If the clutches were working like-for-like, the 7-blade should be moving WAY more air, just by the fact that it’s running at full efficiency.

To be honest, whatever cooling issues the PO had probably would have been solved by turning your 6-blade fan the right way around.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, did a little testing, the way the 6 blade fan is mounted now, pulls air through the radiator. I put a leaf up to the front and it sucked it in.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few more pictures more pictures.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you mount a fan backwards, its efficiency drops off dramatically.

The fact that the car ran cooler with a backward 6-blade than it does with a 7-blade mounted the correct way indicates that the fan clutch isn’t working correctly. I just got an AC Delco clutch that I’m convinced isn’t working correctly.

If the clutches were working like-for-like, the 7-blade should be moving WAY more air, just by the fact that it’s running at full efficiency.

To be honest, whatever cooling issues the PO had probably would have been solved by turning your 6-blade fan the right way around.
Greg02, perhaps the six bladed fan is more tolerant of spinning backwards, and perhaps the new clutch you have comes on at a different temperature. LSG
IDK. Kind of lost with it at the moment.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Yes, the backwards mounted one will still pull air through the radiator, the blades are angled in the proper direction no matter how how you mount it, (think of it like a spoon, you can get the ice cream out of the container with the back of the spoon, but you get a lot more using the proper side), so that curved area is meant to be toward the rear, and will pull much more air when mounted properly. What was the part number of the clutch you got for use with the original fan? What make? I used Hayden part 2765 on mine, no issues and it moves a LOT of air.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
Yes, the backwards mounted one will still pull air through the radiator, the blades are angled in the proper direction no matter how how you mount it, (think of it like a spoon, you can get the ice cream out of the container with the back of the spoon, but you get a lot more using the proper side), so that curved area is meant to be toward the rear, and will pull much more air when mounted properly. What was the part number of the clutch you got for use with the original fan? What make? I used Hayden part 2765 on mine, no issues and it moves a LOT of air.
^ ^ ^
Reinstall the 6-blade fan, opposite of how you HAD it, with the original clutch. Also, FWIW, 210*F isn't "hot".

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The one purchased for the 7 blade is four seasons 36944, C9ZZ-8A616-A, YB-112. The one I have on the car I'd have to pull to find out. Where did you purchase your Hayden clutch?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts