Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
My 67 has it's orig 390 with orig radiator and 7 blade fan. Stock t-stat. I believe I bought a replacement fan clutch from MANSFIELD MUSTANG. They specialize in FE stuff ONLY.. Most hot days my 390 runs ~190-200, No issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
02Lightning, I think Rock Auto…..it’s listed for a Jaguar or whatnot, but it fits that confined space of the 428 cars. Got the part number from the 428CJ forum, it’s the shortest clutch with that fan bolt pattern….

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, during a water pump change due to it leaking, I changed out my fan in hopes of getting a little extra cooling. I went from a 6 blade to a 7 blade and changed the clutch along with it. The 6 blade sat about a half in closer to the radiator and now the car is running hotter, will get up to about 210. The 6 blade ran about 200, or a little under. Think I got a faulty fan clutch with the 7 blade?
the less blades the more air a fan will push, try to find a 4 bladed fan

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Does the original clutch not work on the 7 blade fan? I would just switch the clutches and then you know.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
37 Posts
Looks like there is too much space between the ends of the fan blades and the fan shroud and more importantly the fan should be deeper in the shroud. The way you have it now it's much easier for the fan to pull air around the back of the shroud than through the radiator. IMHO

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sometimes more isn’t always better.😜

I would look at design of blade, pitch, rpm primarily used, and of course actual result on cooling system.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Looks like there is too much space between the ends of the fan blades and the fan shroud and more importantly the fan should be deeper in the shroud. The way you have it now it's much easier for the fan to pull air around the back of the shroud than through the radiator. IMHO
I agreed, but with the 7 blade it looks just like the original fan someone posted above when mounted.
Does the original clutch not work on the 7 blade fan? I would just switch the clutches and then you know.
The clutches aren't interchangeable between the two, I sent the clutch back that I had for the 7 blade, and I ordered a Hayden 2765, we'll see what happens. Just haven't had a chance to mess with it any more.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hayden clutch this morning going down the highway. When I got off the highway it was about 205.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts