Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this topic has probably been covered somewhere before, but I am curious as to what is closest to 'correct' paint (both the black and the silver/argent) on the deluxe cluster and clock pod? Is it a semi-gloss or flat black paint? Spray bomb or do I need to shoot it? The chrome isn't my problem, it's the recess for the gauges and perimeter of the panels. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Not saying that you are wrong Mark but all of the original instrument and clock housings did not have any metallic appearance to them. I think there were only a few things that were painted the black metallic and they were the lower metal dash and the steering column. The rest i believe was the semi-flat black or Krylon 1613

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I agree with Buening and Feex. Semi-gloss black - Krylon 1613 for instrument clusters. Not charcoal metalic. Also passangers pod (no-mach) were natural plastic. If you don't send your cluster out for re-chroming, the closest paint you can use is the immitation chrome paint. Though I hear there is a chrome film tape that is used on model cars that works perfect, I have never been able to find any. I recommend painting the cluster with 1613, masking off the black and then painting the chrome to be the best method. You should let the black cure for several days prior to painting the chrome. Or else you risk pulling the new paint off when you remove the tape. Also, chrome paint bleeding around the masking tape can be a problem. You should use the expensive fine line detailing tape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts