Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
No!
The cigarette lighters are located differently in the two consoles.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yes. Like the others have said, though, the '70's normally have the lighter in the ash tray at the front of the console. I've seen several configurations of both the '69 and '70 consoles, though, so I don't think you can ever definatley say which console you have. I have a '70 console in my '69 that has NO cigar lighter in it, whatsoever. My son's '69 console has the lighter in the front of the glove box area (it reduces the size of the glove box).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm doing the same thing with my 69 console. All the 70's I have seen, have the lighter located on the lower dash where the key swich was on the 69's. You should be able to convert the 69 console to a 70 by replacing the console insert and locating the non-lighter console box off another 70. I was lucky enough to find a VMF'er who traded his 70 box for my 69. The thing I'm not sure about is the latch for the lid. I've seen some 70's that have a latch button and some that don't. My 69 console doesn't have it. I don't know which is correct.

Perry

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The latches seem more common on later '70s. My October-69-built car didn't have a latch on the lid, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts