Vintage Mustang Forums banner

69-70 console question

757 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  johnpro 
#1 ·
can you change a 69 console to a 70 by putting the 70 wood grain insert in?

#2 ·
No!
The cigarette lighters are located differently in the two consoles.

#4 ·
Yes. Like the others have said, though, the '70's normally have the lighter in the ash tray at the front of the console. I've seen several configurations of both the '69 and '70 consoles, though, so I don't think you can ever definatley say which console you have. I have a '70 console in my '69 that has NO cigar lighter in it, whatsoever. My son's '69 console has the lighter in the front of the glove box area (it reduces the size of the glove box).

#5 ·
I'm doing the same thing with my 69 console. All the 70's I have seen, have the lighter located on the lower dash where the key swich was on the 69's. You should be able to convert the 69 console to a 70 by replacing the console insert and locating the non-lighter console box off another 70. I was lucky enough to find a VMF'er who traded his 70 box for my 69. The thing I'm not sure about is the latch for the lid. I've seen some 70's that have a latch button and some that don't. My 69 console doesn't have it. I don't know which is correct.

Perry

#7 ·
My son's '69 doesn't have the latch, nor does either of the 2 '70 consoles that I have.

You are correct, in that most '70 consoles have no ligher ... I stated that wrong last night when I said most have them in the ash tray area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.