Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys stick the floor jack when rasing the front of your cars? The little crossmember just doesn't seem to be the best choice, is it the only one? If I go from the side it plays heck with the tops of my fenders. Just want to hear from some of you and your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I also use the frame rails. I have a chunk of carpet hot glued to my floor jack and my jack stands. Just need to watch the jack handle and my fenders. Hey.. I should pad the jack handle.
I cannot get a jack under the chin spoiler. How low is your spoliers off the ground. I think my vehicle is setting low in front and high in rear due to new springs in rear and High press. shocks.

G

·
0 Posts
I've used the crossmember successfully. It's an enormously strong point, and it puts much less strain on the structure of the car since you're supporting in the center and under the engine. But you've got to be extremely careful and patient not to get "in" to your oil pan, and to use a pad that is not so thick that the "prongs" on the corners of your lift pedestal can't do their job in keeping the crossmember inside the pedestal. Even better, you could make a wood fixture for your jack to cradle the crossmember, which would be handy and the safest bet. I've never hurt or tweaked anything picking the car up from the frame rails, but it still makes me cringe when I see the weight of the front of the car starting to make things bow. It's unsettling, but never seems to hurt anything. At least you can fit a jack under it SOMEWHERE. My S351 Saleen is too low to use a floor jack, period. Only a drive-on lift or a pit will do.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the rf frame rail once and it made a whooptdo in the top of my fender. Had to back off and retighten all the fender bolts to work it out.
What do you think about using a padded 2x4 block long enough to reach under the crossmember and the back half of the oil pan?
I too never use a jack or stands with out some type of padding.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have to use the frame on mine. I had to loose the crossmember under the oil pan to do the 460 swap. Still scares me when I have to jack up the front end....I do feel better with the subframe connectors on.........
I wish I knew a way to put a crossmember back under the motor. Everything is in the way, ie. oil pan, headers.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now that you mention it, I just noticed a slight bend in my fenders above where I've been putting the jack under the rails. This time, I put the jack under the cross member, but didn't feel comfortable raising it very far. Maybe I'll get a couple more cheap floor jacks and raise it on both rails and the cross member.

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/35/BF/11735349-b918-013D0092-.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I have access to a lift which is great but on occasion when I need to use a floor jack I jack it up by the radiator support or the cross member under the oil pan or from the side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts