Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install the aftermarket kick panels that have speaker mounting?
Do they clear the e-brake?
How deep can the speaker be?
Is it a solid piece to keep the speaker from vibrating? any other tips or concerns on these?
They apper to be avail in 5.25 and 4x6 configs, any recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I had a set of them in my 69 and took them out. They really were a nice set up but I could not get my foot between the speaker and my clutch pedal to get at the E-brake. They would be great in an automatic car.You can not get a real deep speaker in them. About 2" deep is max.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the 4x6 kickpanels and speakers for my 69. They are not installed yet, but I do have a recommendation based on my experience. I didn't realize it until yesterday, but the 4x6 speakers I bought (some nice infinity ones) don't have any sort of speaker grille on them. I called crutchfield and they told me that the 4x6 speaker size is primarily used for factory applications and therefore don't come with a grille. Sure enough, I started looking around and none of the 4x6 speakers I could find on the 'net had a grille. And you really need one based on their location down by the feet. Also, while most of the speakers I found would fit ok with a top mount, there isn't enough room to mount the speaker behind the panel and drill lots of holes to make a grille of sorts. So, I would recommend going with the 5 1/2" round kick panels. Many of the speakers that will fit those come with a grille. My as yet untested solution was to order some 69 door grilles (69-70 had 4x6's in the doors) from NPD and hope they fit. I should have them in a couple of days and will let you know if I was successful.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Kevin T said:
I have the 4x6 kickpanels and speakers for my 69. They are not installed yet, but I do have a recommendation based on my experience. I didn't realize it until yesterday, but the 4x6 speakers I bought (some nice infinity ones) don't have any sort of speaker grille on them. I called crutchfield and they told me that the 4x6 speaker size is primarily used for factory applications and therefore don't come with a grille. Sure enough, I started looking around and none of the 4x6 speakers I could find on the 'net had a grille. And you really need one based on their location down by the feet. Also, while most of the speakers I found would fit ok with a top mount, there isn't enough room to mount the speaker behind the panel and drill lots of holes to make a grille of sorts. So, I would recommend going with the 5 1/2" round kick panels. Many of the speakers that will fit those come with a grille. My as yet untested solution was to order some 69 door grilles (69-70 had 4x6's in the doors) from NPD and hope they fit. I should have them in a couple of days and will let you know if I was successful.
Have you checked with Infinity customer service? you can e-mail them, [email protected]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nope, got the response from infinity, they don't have any sort of speaker grille that will fit 4x6 speakers. They did give me the names/numbers of some people that make custom ones. Hopefully the ones from NPD will work. I should have them tomorrow.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin
thanks for the heads up on the 4x6. Your idea of using 69/70 door grills sounds like a reasonable solution. Hope the rest goes smooth for you.
Regards

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I finally struck out and have given up. The 69/70 speaker grilles were way too big. So they along with the kick panels are on their way back to NPD and the speakers are being returned also. I will start over with the 5 1/2 kick panels and some new speakers. The whole deal has probably cost me at least $40 in shipping charges. Oh well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Well, that sucks to know that 4x6 grills aren't available. I was thinking about putting them in my doors. A previous owner had already cut (very poorly, I might add) some holes for speakers. I was just going to enlarge them to accommodate the 4x6s.

MustangChuck

·
Registered
987 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see grills by listed themselves on their page. I guess we just buy the cheap Pyle speakers with the grills and toss the speakers.

They list a cheaper set (Pyle PL463BL) for $17/pair. Don't know what the grills look like, though.

MustangChuck

·
Registered
395 Posts
Only a phone call away. Call and find out.
Also you should have done your homework, and search for speakers that had GRILLS with the speaker.
My $0.02 worth

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, I stand corrected and slammed by the masses. I figured a reputable place like crutchfields and the numerous local car stereo places I contacted would know what they were talking about. I only wish the masses had chimed in before 3pm central yesterday when I sent everything back to start over. Just trying to prevent someone else from making the same mistake (at least what I thought was a mistake) I did.

·
Registered
987 Posts
JohnnyK said:
So what are you guys plans? Going to cut a big hole in the door to mount them? I have to think of something soon.
My car already has some holes cut in the door (poorly done by a previous owner) for speakers. I was going to enlarge and smooth them out for 4x6 speakers. I need to replace the door panel, so I was going to try my hand at fabricating a new one (pulled apart the old panel and removed all the metal and plastic parts to reuse).

MustangChuck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts