·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was the inside surface of the lower valance on 69/70 Mustangs:

a) Primed and then oversprayed with body color
b) Completely painted body color
c) Blacked out

The valance panels seem to be the only areas that I can't seem to find any information on regarding finish.

G

·
0 Posts
Hoods, fenders, cowl panels, quarter caps, Sport mirrors, side scoops, headlight buckets, and valences (both front and rear) were painted off the car on a separate assembly line. With that said, I have seen both front and rear valences with body color on both sides on San Jose cars. The back side may not have a full coat as the painters were working quickly and did not want to waste paint on a part that wasn't seen too often. It is also possible that the type of finish on the valences was specific to the factory where the car was built. There are many minor differences in assembly and detail between Dearborn, San Jose, and Metuchen cars (an excellent topic for a magazine article or detailing book).
Use your original valence as a guide (if you still have it) otherwise find a car that was built at the same factory and examine it.
BTW- color keyed rims were also painted on a separate assembly line. Special order color cars got black rims (the only mistake I made on my Copper Flame CJ in MM) and could not get sport mirrors.
Much of this information came from a retired San Jose plant painter.

G

·
0 Posts
Mudhen,

To add to your point on special order cars with sport mirrors. My car was equipped with the Sports appearance group which included the hood scoop and sport mirrors. However according to Kevin Marti the special order color cars didn't get the painted sport mirrors they got the chrome remote drivers side mirrors instead. The sport Mirrors were all prepainted by the suppliers. That is why if you come across a NOS sport mirror in the box, they sometimes ar already painted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts