Vintage Mustang Forums banner

69 70 Mustang door latch, what is this part for?

368 7
I just removed my door latches, and when cleaning, I found both have this little plastic strip floating inside the spring, not really attached to anything. They have a small hole on each end. Anyone know what it's for? (This is a photo I grabbed from another thread on VMF, but shows same plastic piece as mine).
Automotive tire Gas Bicycle part Auto part Rim

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Coil Gas Wire
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
My guess is that it keeps the spring rigid/straight so it does not flop around, not hit the latch and not rattle when you close the door. Plastic piece is perpendicular to latch surface in that area so it keeps the spring rigid in that direction. Holes at the end are used to pull it through the spring with a pick. Again, this is my guess.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That was what I was working on this weekend. Mine had neither. I imagine the white plastic is some kind or door unlocked warning feature. The other is hard to see what it’s attached to. I don’t have it but it may be related to the other feature.
He is asking about the red arrow. Blue line/yellow circle one is “door ajar warning switch” if I remember correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts