Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the comments here regarding the angle at which I mounted the rear spoiler on my 70, plus some disagreement regarding the results of my research, I went back to double check my sources. On more than one occassion my memory has played tricks on me. Thus, a return to the library is a good idea prior to claiming any authority on this topic.

My research source is "Mustang Boss 302, Ford's Trans-Am Pony Car, written by Donald Farr, Copywrite 1983. I looked at obviously authentic period photos and not photos which may be of modern restorations. Pg 11 is a nice color shot of a 69 and it appears that the spoiler has a very very slight rake to it, up in back. On the other hand, at p. 14 it is not clear that the spoiler has any rake to it and page 15, bottom photo, suggests the rake is going the other way, up in front. However, the latter is not a period photo, as shown by the license plate. Page 16 is better, it shows Parnelli Jones in his primary and backup 1970 Boss 302s, numbers 15 and 16, and it is obvoius that the rear spoiler is raked so as to be up in back.

Larry Shinoda added the rear spoiler (which he called a wing spoiler - yes, kudos to the commentor who caught this and correclty pointed out that it is a wing, not a spoiler) and the front spoiler (which was called a shovel spoiler). At page 30 there is a photo of Larry Shinoda posing next to a 69 Boss 302 prototype with louvers and a rear spoiler. The spoiler appears to be mounted "flat", which is more clearly shown in the 11/13/1968 prototype photos on page 31. Even the car and driver street test prototype car had the spoiler mounted flat (for 69). The production 69 rear spoiler was a lightweight, thin plastic piece and mounted with two bolts through the trunk, without using the support brackets used on the 70, which mounted the fiberglass, heavier, spoiler. The 69 sagged in the middle, over time. Use of the thicker, heavier fiberglass spoiler in 1970 solved that problem.

Page 71 shows two pictures of 70 spoilers, which were taken in 70. The photo and text describes that some 70 spoilers were mounted higher up on the trunk, so that it did not overlap the quarter extensions. One of the photos shows the spoiler raked to be high in the front, following the slant of the trunk lid. This also appears ot be the case on page 74. HOwever, page 85 shows Parnelli Jones testing his No. 15 Boss 302 (1970) and the rear spoiler is raked with an extreme lift in the back, almost forming a "v" with the angle of the trunk lid. This same angle, but not as extreme, is depicted on Dean Gregson's Boss 302 at a 1970 race in St. Jovite, car number 28. If you look at page 96, there is a 69 Boss 302 shown which clearly shows the steep upward lift at the rear of the spoiler. See also page 112.

In summary rear window louvers, front and rear spoilers were the creation of Larry Shinoda when he was brought over from Chevy in 1969 and given to the Mustang peformance line (to support Trans-Am racing; Larry also designed the graphics for the Cougar Eliminator). Larry came up with the name Boss 302, and came up with the front shovel spoiler and rear wing spoiler, borrowing the idea of rear louvers from the 1962 Monza Spyder prototype car he developed for GM. Ford's exact mounting location of the rear spoiler varied. In 69, Ford seemed to mounted the spoiler flat, in 70 it was mounted either lifted in front, flat, or lifted in the rear. However, in race applications, it appears that driver's angled the spoiler up in back so as to increase downforce.

Whether my installation is correct is anyone's guess. However, who am I to argue with Parnelli Jones. Since he raced his 70 Boss 302 with the rear spoiler significantly raised in the rear, that is enough authenticity for me to have a modest lift in the back. Given that the louvers and front/rear spoilers were designed by Larry Shinoda for the Boss 302, I do not know that they were Ford factory options for the MachOne. Perhaps they were dealer add-on items, given the popularity of the Trans-Am racing circuit at that time.

OK? Am I now flameproof on the angle of the rear spoiler. Geeze, you guys are a hard audience, I think I'll go buy a camero (LOL).

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ken, I commend you, BIG TIME. It gets to be a bit much, all the people who spew crap out without doing any research or investigation on their own to prove or disprove. Let others learn, research before… :puke: :puke:

When I originally read your post I thought you were mistaken, but I could not guarantee it. So I must humbly admit you were correct.
:shocked2: :jawdrop:

·
Registered
208 Posts
ok i'll drink my shut up juice. :eek:
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/69-70/70/ParnelliJones.jpg

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I am not correct, I am merely not wrong. Similarly, you are not wrong, because a number of spoilers were mounted in the way you described. Both of our positions have validity, proving in the camraderie of the VMF, there is room to accept divergent viewpoints. One could claim that I have an "aftermarket" alignment of the spoiler (haha) whereas the alignment you desribe is the "factory" alignment. Regardless, I am glad that you offered your comment. It is better you offer the comment in hopes that I might learn something, than to keep silent and think that I am an idiot (like my ex-wife's initial approach). THANKS for your comments.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great photo! No need to drink the VMF version of grape kool aid (joke in poor taste). You caught me on during a period in I have been getting some political heat against me at work from opposing counsel and another state agency, so I'm a little defensive today. I'm glad that you offered your comments. At least you care enough about the cars to offer constructive criticism. Thanks again for your comments.

And about the ponies, I agree that the ponies do not even come close to looking as nice as the gold c stripes which were originally painted on the car.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Last year at the Carlisle All-Ford Show, on display in one of the buildings was a beautiful ’70 Boss 302 that looked like new. I spoke at length with the owner. He even had Larry Shinoda’s autograph under the hood. I noticed his rear deck “wing” was tilted down in the front and asked him about the angle of the rake. He said a few years earlier when Larry Shinoda was still alive he had seen his Boss at a show and so taken with the condition and restoration that he asked if he could properly adjust the rear wing. The owner said sure and got an Allen wrench out for Shinoda, who adjusted it downward in the front. Once Shinoda had finished he said, “There…now it’s perfect”. I looked at the adjustment and measured it loosely with my finger and then adjusted my rear wing the same when I returned home.

The only way the rear wing can provide down force is to be tilted forward. Being level provides nothing and tilted back will generate lift and drag.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Ken, why do you care? It's your car, angle as you feel looks better.

Personally, it doesn't do a darn thing for a street driven car except add a look.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have to admit I was totally dumbfounded as to why anyone would correct you on spoiler angle.

How far can this type of criticism go?

-"You need to adjust your seat back to the factory delivered setting."
-Your rearview mirrors are not at the correct factory adjusted angle."
-"Don't drive your car, because it will alter the odometer to a non - factory delivered reading!"

Hee hee hee hee

Not being mean guys - just poking fun at the eccentricities of a passioned hobby.

:rofl:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have to admit I was totally dumbfounded as to why anyone would correct you on spoiler angle.

How far can this type of criticism go?

-"You need to adjust your seat back to the factory delivered setting."
-Your rearview mirrors are not at the correct factory adjusted angle."
-"Don't drive your car, because it will alter the odometer to a non - factory delivered reading!"

Hee hee hee hee

Not being mean guys - just poking fun at the eccentricities of a passioned hobby.

:rofl:
True, but if the guy who designed the "Package" wanted to correct my angle, I'd be honored......even if it didn't produce and down force till 80 mph+ ::.

"I sorry Officer, I was only trying to see if my rear spoiler worked" :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts