Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 70 Mustang FB and I bought a repop rear window rubber that fits loose and leaks like a seive. What are you guys using out there for a good seal. I'd rather not goop it up on a resto/restomod, but I also need to get it sealed up. I dont mind buying a new seal if you guys had experience with some that fit better. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I replaced the rear seal when pulling the glass when painting the car. I bought a repro from NPD, but someone, I forget who, had a seal sitting around and just gave it to me. Don't know whether it was a Ford or repro. I used that. I have no leaks at all. Now that I am done bragging, here is what I did -

First, you have to use the black goop that comes in a caulking gun tube. It is a sealer that remains goopy, doesn't set up. This is different from the stuff you use on the early glass. You put a generous bead of this stuff in the "slot" in the rubber where the glass slides into the rubber - its like a bedding compound. You also have to run a bead of this goop around the metal "lip" (exterior side). I forget, but I may have put the goop on both sides of the metal lip around the window openning, before putting on the rubber seal/glass.

I've read that you should not use silicone. The silicone attacks the rubber and breaks it down, leaks start happening.

Anyway, that's what I did and it worked. It is the first time I tried replacing the glass. Guess I just got lucky.

good luck to YOU!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will end up doing that if it comes to it. But in the Vegas heat I am leery of having anything on a black car that remains soft, all I need is to have that stuff start dripping on the carpet. I will keep looking, hopefully 3M makes something that will help. By the way here is a pic. Its a 70 with an early center-oiler with all the trimmings, a big in/out CJ 4 speed, and 31 spline 3.89 rear. This was right out of the paint booth, slowly getting it together. Thanks

http://home.att.net/~my427stang/Painted2.jpg

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Go to your local glass shop and ask what they use. The product I used was called Sealing and bedding compound and is a black goo type material, You have to put this between the rubbwer and the glass as well as around the srew/pin holes where your trim fits.Otherwisw water will run down into the truck or if through the glass/rubber seal into the rear seat area.On the 69 there is that wide piece of trim that they origanally filled with goo. I ready did not think that much was necessary but I learned different since then.Use lots and you will not have to do it a second time.
Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts