Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck is going on with NOS 69-70 parts? I fully realize that 30+ year old NOS parts are sparse but give me a break! Check out this auction for a 69-70 NOS washer bottle.

http:// / /ws/ ? &item=1846364672&rd=1

At this rate it is going to cost me more than 50k to retore my 69 mach with NOS parts. I guess I will keep my painted over & half melted original washer bottle after all.

·
Registered
553 Posts
heh i like this line from the ad...

THIS PART WILL ADD TO A GREAT SHOW CAR.WHEN THEY OPEN UP YOUR HOOD AND LOOK TO THERE *sp their* RIGHT THEY WILL GO ( WOW ).

and then when you tell them how much you paid for it they will say "wow you are crazy! do you wipe your arse with $20 bills also?" /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yeah, tell me about it. I may consider paying the price asked... assuming I can find the part first. I havent found one place yet that sells complete door shells for a 69 mustang... only skins.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yup, I understand that it's very hard to find. I love Mustangs, anybody on this forum can tell you I love Mustangs, so don't anybody take this out of context, please/thank you.

My friends, this is a washer bottle for a '69/'70 Mustang. It's not a part for something actually rare in the realm of automotive restoring. It's not a NOS windshield trim for a '31 Buick. It's not a NOS tail light lense for a '41 Overland. It's not a gauge group from a '57 Ferrari. It's a washer bottle for a '69 Mustang for gods sake. $500 is about $425 too much to pay for this part. The only reason the prices keep going up on this type of stuff for our cars is because somebody will whip out their wallet and pay it. It's just exactly that action that is driving the cost of restoring a vintage Mustang completely through the roof.

OK, you say, "I have a perfect '69 GT500 except for that ugly yellowed out washer bottle"......... jeeez, yeah, but wouldn't you be a lot happier buying a primo repro for $400 less? Does it really make that much difference? In truth is anybody really going to lift the hood on a '69 GT500 and his eye is going to miss the painted and proper FE and go straight to that washer bottle? Not in my world.

Sorry for the rant. It's just that I see things like $800 consoles and $1600 shakers and think to myself "self, if this hobby ever dies then this will be the reason".............. and I, for one, don't want to see that happen.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hang in there. More and more 69-70 stuff is getting done in reproduction. An alternative for those of use who aren't millionaires. I also agree that this "hobby" won't survive with those prices.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I can relate...just like the 400 dollar repro 69/70 dash pads I rant about...

I dont care what anyone says, its a #@^&%@ dash pad......plastic coating over foam coating over a piece of sheet metal!!!!!

probably the reason I have a dash cover right now...I refuse to pay those idiots the ridiculous price!!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Ain't capitalism great? The worst part is somebody will pay 500 bucks and think they got a deal!

This is exactly why very few people can afford to play in concours. It really does mean that unless your car has been in a temperature and humidity-controlled vault for the last 30 years, a concours restoration is a $50k proposition.

Wayyyyyyy too rich for my blood. I'll just keep building and driving mild resto-mods.

·
Registered
612 Posts
All us us with a 69 sympathize with this thread - I took a $500 shell and am already up to $5k, without any of the bodywork done, and no engine or trans.... Add wheels, rims and paint, this one is gonna hurt......

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
There are some freaks out there that will lift the hood of a fully restored gt 500 that the owner spent over 100k doing, and say "look at the cheap repro washer box, this a-hole prob has bondo in all the wheel wells"

For some strange reason, many many people in this world define their entire existance in negative ways. Always looking for the mistakes and never appreciating the big picture.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
it is no big secret to the Mustang crowd that the majority of the "high end" Mustangs fall in the 69/70 category (ie Bosses, Shelbys, Cobrajets). Unfortunately, a lot of the people interested in the highest performance Mustangs made also have the money to virtually buy ANYTHING there car needs. At the Shelby convention recently even I was amazed at how much the 69/70 models have climbed in price and of course, the parts to make them "right" have climbed alongside in cost. Unless you have actually talked to concours people at length, you can't "appreciate" how much they despise reproduced parts and would rather have a used part showing some wear rather than a new repopped piece....

Out of the 12 Mustangs I own, 9 of them are 69/70 models - all fastback and convertible models, most of which I acquired years ago when there wasn't so much insanity. Still, in order to finish them, some will have to be sold off to finish others due to skyrocketing parts costs. Like many of you, I am not a stickler for original parts, although I do perfer them as they definitely fit a lot better than a lot of the repopped stuff out there. Unless there is a major turn-down in the economy similar to what we went through in the early 1990s, I seriously doubt there is any end in site. Clearly, the vintage Mustang has begun to take on the same climb in value that other, more valuable vintage cars, have done in the past. Frankly, I am surprised at the influx of all the younger people into the vintage Mustang hobby as I cant imagine attempting to restore one working minimum wage at the local McDonald's or some other similar paying job that most of us worked at as teenagers.....

The 500 dollar washer bottle, in my opinion, falls in line with people paying over 500 dollars for a quart of "correct" textured black paint used on 69/70 Mustangs, even though the same type of paint can be mixed and sprayed by any competent paint shop and painter. Clearly, all we can hope for is to do a Mustang to the best of our ability and WHATEVER our finances can bear.....

randy

·
Registered
402 Posts
What I don't get is that with 7 bids it went from $9.95 to $355. I guess someone wanted to deter other buyers and made a big jump? Dunno.

Gotta tell you though, I can tell the difference between the repro and the origonal washer bottle, but I'd never look down on someone for using repro vs. origonal. I always assume that each owner has thier own budget and priorities and there none of my business. Personally I always try to look at a car and see what the owner *has* done, not what the owner *hasn't*.

Just my 2 cents

SprintCC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Frickin' amazing isn't it. I paid $115 for the A C H 1 trunk letters in NOS condition 1-1/2 years ago, which I thought was outrageous. Now there is somebody on the parts selling section asking $250 for a set. Whenever I see stuff like that I pray for good repop parts so they can keep their NOS crap and let it collect dust. I was not interested in a correct Mach 1 so I used many repop parts and built the car so I was happy with it. I still spent $25M not counting the car which was given to me and not counting the $5M+ paint job a buddy did just for the cost of materials. This was my first and last Mustang restoration, period, even though I absolutely love the cars.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ya know, Bossman, I think I'm really starting to like you:p!! Anybody that has the same passion for a 69 Mach as I do has got to be a good guy! Even those of us that can afford to go to "concourse" don't do it. I want my cars to perform BETTER than they did in 69, so I try to buy the best that I can find. Why worry? I'm the one that has to love it and live with it. But I do have two of those bottles sitting on a shelf:p Hmmmmmmm LOL

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Heck, I have an original in my 69 and also one on the shelf in the garage, also know where I camn get another..Maybe I better start selling a few on , lol.
I can buy a complete 69 for $500 with lots of good parts, sell the bottle and the rest is free, LOL.
Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought a Whippet was a breed of dog..... just kidding /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts