Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have decided to put a modern single DIN headunit in my 1970 Mustang. It's just a much better value for your money compared to a Retrosound or similar, and since I have a 1970 I don't need to modify my metal dashboard to make it fit- just some trimming of the bezel, which is still available as a repro anyway. However, the one thing I'm still struggling with is how to physically mount the radio. Do I just need to buy a generic sleeve and fabricate some way to fix it to the stock bracker? Or does someone out there make a solution that I'm not finding?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Are you saying the '70 already has a DIN sized hole? I don't know whats back there.

First off you should go ahead and buy the re-pop bezel and hack on that.
There should be a stud up behind in there somewhere that the factory used to support the rear of the radio by a strap. Consider how heavy an OE radio of the time was, they needed it and you can re-use it.
Assuming you don't know, the new radio should come with a metal sleeve that is a template for the hole size needed and also the front support. it slides into the hole a bit then has tabs that are bent down to secure the front then the radio slides inside of that.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts