Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been trying to find a tach dash for my 70 vert for a while now, with no luck yet :wall: and now I have another question about the possible differences in the gauges. Thanks to this forum I know the 69 won't fit on the 70 due to the steering column size and I know that the "idiot" lights are slightly different for each year. Are there any other differences I should know about? And, I thought that the tach, for both years, had the running horse as a high beam indicator? Did Ford use a round light in the mustang for the indicator in the tach at any time?

Thanks !

P.S. Anyone have a spare tach dash they would like to sell?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I always forget what year had the running horse, I think 69. You can swap gages between a 69 & 70 dash, I have a 70 & swapped the gages into a 69 for my Mach1.

Mike

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
The running horse was used in the standard dash, the deluxe dash used the dot as the high beam indicator in both 1969 and 1970.
I agree. The standard guages were black faced, had a different font (lacked the 5mph increments on the speedometer), and had the running horse high beam indicator on the tach). The deluxe guages had a blue tinted face, had the 10mph on one side and 5 mph on the other (can't remember which was on the inside and outside of the speedometer ring), and had the round high beam indicator on the tachometer. I personally like the standard guages as i like the font better and the running horse is definitely a plus. Being a mach though i'll have a million people telling me it isn't correct which i already know. I may change mine out in the future.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Having put a tach dash into a 70, personally I would not go that route again unless doing a concourse restoration. You will have to change the printed circuit and tach version of the underdash wiring harness. Ford used different for these as with the tach cluster you lose some gauges in favor of idiot lights. This means the oil sending unit has to change also. Also, if you are using an after-market ignition computer, the output for the tach is a sine wave whereas the Ford factory tach runs off a square wave (or is it the other way around?). None of the tach adapters I tried on my 70 worked. What I would do is to shop around for a hood mounted tach. This is Ford correct. You can use this without the $400-$500 expense of changing out the instrument cluster, printed circuit, underdash wiring harness, and oil sending unit. Beware of cheap imitations, but there are Ford hood tach's out there, as distinguished by the Ford logo on the face. They were installed on more than mustangs, which makes them marginally more available. Torino's and cougars were sometimes equipped with hood tachs.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
My mach did not come from the factory with the tach and i had added it a month or so ago. I followed the instructions on the Boss302 registry site. The process is reversible and the only cutting was to splice in the tach wire. My tach cluster came with the circuit board and everything as many do, but thats no guarantee that the circuit board is always good. I went with the console guage pod on mine and added mechanical oil pressure and temperature autometers. Didn't feel a voltmeter guage was necessary at the time. I didn't know that none of the tach adapters work with the stock tachometer. Did you try the MSD tach adapters? That is what i have heard everyone with 67/68 factory tach dashes use. I have the duraspark ignition and no tach adapter is needed, but i was planning on an Accel 300+ upgrade so i may keep the adapters in mind.

All of the hood tachs i have seen with the ford logo are $500+ but then again the entire tach clusters can bring that when in great condition. Some people don't care for the look of the bump sticking out of the hood, but then again other people love them. Just a matter of taste.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
You're aware that the 69 70 steering collum deal can be fixed by swaping and 1970 bezel for the 69. I know, I did this and ran a tach dash for a few years.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I knew about the swap and I was thinking that if I can't find a 70 I would go with a 69 and swap all the gauges over to a spare 70 gauge pod I have. Since I am running a stock ignition system I don't have to worry about the output to the tach. I have copied the Boss 302 reg directions for rewiring, now all I need is a tach dash in good condition to get started!

Thanks All !

·
Registered
63 Posts
I installed a factory '69 tach and speedo in my '69 Mach 1 a few years ago. Two years ago I changed over my factory distributor to MSD Billet # 8354. After the installation the tach would go to 2500 rpm at idle so I was told to use MSD tach adapter # 8920. The tach is still off by 1,000 rpm's at idle. Before the change, the tach was right on. I hooked up a manual tach and did a comparison on the two tachs. At idle the manual tach ran at 800 rpm's while the factory tach ran at 1,300 - 1,400 rpm's. You rev up the engine to 2,000 - 3,000 rpm's and both tachs rpm's were identical. I can not figure out the idle part of this. I have my dash cluster setup as Alt guage on the left, Speedo, Tach, and Fuel on the right. Then I added the console cluster with Oil and Temp guages. My high beam indicator with the tach cluster is a round light. Any ideas as to how to get my factory tach back to normal idle range would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Jeremy, Thanks for the reply. When I set up the guages I re-routed the main plug and wiring for the Alt guage and the console mounted Temp guage. Those guages along with the tach were set up and working fine long before I installed the MSD ignition. It has something to do with the MSD and factory tach not working together. Any other thoughts on this let me know - Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts