Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been having trouble getting my brake lights to turn on I have to push my pedal all the way down for them to turn on I bought a new switch but same thing I think I got the wrong switch autozone gave me is there a big difference between the power brake switch and non power brakes
New one I got was at autozone was
http://www.cjponyparts.com/brake-light-switch-with-alternator-1965-1966-without-power-brakes-1967-1970/p/HW1190/

I think I need this one but what's the difference
http://www.cjponyparts.com/brake-light-switch-power-drum-brakes-1967-1968-power-disc-drum-brakes-1969-1970/p/HW1194/
Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
The switch is operated in how it interacts with the end of the MC or booster pushrod. The contacts in the switch should close as soon as the pedal begins to move forward and encounters resistance from the MC/booster pushrod.

Is this a manual or power brake application? Are you mounting the switch on the pedal pin correctly? Do you have the correct MC/booster pushrod?

Can you take/post a pic of the switch mounted on your pedal pin?

Paul

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Does your car have power brakes, or manual? I have a 69 vert with manual and I have the 1190 version. Manual or power, the lights should come on as soon as you hit the pedal. The 1194 for power brakes looks shorter, so it'll take less pressure to make it work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
make sure you check that the plastic bushing are good because the switch will shift when hitting pedal if not there ask me how I know.lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a 70 and found that you can bend the small rectangular metal tang (item 7 on the drawing posted) with some needle nose pliers to increase or decrease the amount of pressure it takes to activate the switch. It may take several attempts to get it right.

I've also heard of putting a small amount of solder there to build it up some.

Just make sure you have somebody follow you around on a drive with several stops. Since it may need adjusted again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts