Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my clutch z-bar off this weekend, it was rubbing on my header and the steering rag joint. I took it off and ground it a little for clearance, works great now. While it was off, I noticed the "rod" on the frame mounted bracket was a little wobbly, I have a new bracket for it, but when I tried to remove the old one, one of the bolts turns very hard, almost feels like it might snap off if I keep going, This area is very tight, I can only get about an eighth of a turn at a time. If I snap this off, there is no way to get in there to drill it out. At a minimum I would have to remove the steering column and the master cylinder to get at it. Has anyone had this problem??

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
sounds like you have a lot of rust built up in the threads on the bolt below the anchorig nut, try saturating it with penetrating oil for a few days, just keep soaking it each time you walk by it. then give it another try. make sure you screw it back in then out, try not to create too much friction heat because that too will cause the bolt to break. your right if you snap it off,you will have to pull the steering box, master & booster if you you have one.
A REAL PAIN IN THE a$$

1 - 2 of 2 Posts