Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had their plastic console inserts re-chromed? I called Mr. G's and they said that the 69 mustang inserts were originally electroplated and that it must be removed before they could re-chrome. Aparently their process is a different type chrome. Has anyone had experiences removing the original electroplate? If so how is it done? They said some guys use fine glass beads but I worry about damaging the plastic and or losing the grain. Any help appreciated. Thanks Jim

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you talking about the piece that has the woodgrain sticker on and it has a hole in the middle of it, I believe for the seatbelt holders? If so, I got the old chrome off of mine with a razor blade. If it's bubbled it's a little easier but you just have to cut, lift and peel the chrome off. Be careful! I cut my thumb pretty bad. The chrome is really sharp.
By the way, where were you going to have it rechromed/electroplated? I havent had mine done yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Me the same as electrux. I cut it all off with a razor, and also cut myself. That stuff is sharp as heck. Problem is after you get it all off you can;t but the stuff to stick back on. Just the woodgrain sticker. I would like to find a whole new one, but they don't exist in in repro or NOS.

JJ
69 Fastback 302 2v 3sp. trans.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1605599&a=12251632&p=44630868.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts