Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Cougar XR7 Rag Top
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm looking to rebuild an original convertible pump, can anyone recommend a shop or is it a do-it-yourself project? I also need a new wiring harness for the pump
Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
151 Posts
I did it myself with a rebuild kit, I think from NPD. The hardest part is getting the pump in and out of the car. After I got the pump in and running, I sprung a leak in a hose and had to go back in and replace those as well. I'd recommend doing those at the same time. Now I'm waiting for the pistons to blow because I decided not to do those also.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I blew a seal in a cylinder a couple of years ago. While I was at it, I replaced all the hoses and both cylinders.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It's definitely a DIY project. They are pretty simple inside, and as others have said get new hoses. Cylinders aren't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I did mine last winter with a kit from NPD. The reservoir had a load of sludge in it. I also opted for new hoses and cylinders. I thought that with a rebuilt pump the old cylinders and hoses would not be able to handle the increased performance and did not want to rip half the car apart again to fix that.
Works like new now.
Make sure you use type “F” fluid in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts