Vintage Mustang Forums banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Looking good. Bolt in subframe connectors are basically useless, weld in are much better.
Kinda what I thought as well. Either way the car would need some bracing IMO even though I doubt it would ever hookup hard enough to do any damage. I have no real plans to install a 4 link or anything like that, just some new rear leaf springs and a 1" drop set of progressive springs up front. In the end this is a driver, not a show car, not a trailer queen and not a race car. It is and always will be an old fun clasic Mustang.
The transmission cleaned up well, he had the clutch and crossmember for it as well but it ended up at the bottom of a dumpster and no way was I dumpster diving through a half ton of auto body trash to retrieve them. Pretty sure I'll be able to source all the parts needed to build up everything I need for a future swap. Going to have to figure out what I need for a clutch pedal (brake pedal) assembly as well...but I have time.
20210423_175002.jpg

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Cleaned up nicely, seems to work ok. They said it worked very well and never abused, one owner since new. They swapped it out to a sequential 6spd when they removed the old motor and dropped in a Coyote. Some people have way too much money.
20210423_175002.jpg

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
So many things I want to do to my car, sucks that it isn't here. Won't get it back until mid next week. Took the opportunity to reclaim my garage and then remembered that the rear window trim needed cleaning and paint. They are now the same black as the rear wing and scoop.
20210424_185859.jpg

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So many things I want to do to my car, sucks that it isn't here. Won't get it back until mid next week. Took the opportunity to reclaim my garage and then remembered that the rear window trim needed cleaning and paint. They are now the same black as the rear wing and scoop.
View attachment 792256
What color was the rear window trim originally? Was it body color or was it black? I feel like I have seen it both ways. The trim on my 69 Coupe is body color.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What color was the rear window trim originally? Was it body color or was it black? I feel like I have seen it both ways. The trim on my 69 Coupe is body color.
Charcoal Black. Kinda looks like a black phosphate. I think ford used to use it on a lot of interior parts too

Reactions: Pittbull

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
View attachment 792256
Those look good. Not reproduced.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
As Mike mentioned they were charcoal grey. They are in nice shape but had some wear, just needed to be freshened up. The trick will be getting them on. They never fit very well before all the body work was done, I personally have not seen how well they fit now. I've replaced almost every other trim piece on the car, thankfully these were ok.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
As Mike mentioned they were charcoal grey. They are in nice shape but had some wear, just needed to be freshened up. The trick will be getting them on. They never fit very well before all the body work was done, I personally have not seen how well they fit now. I've replaced almost every other trim piece on the car, thankfully these were ok.
I replaced the rear window seal a year or two ago. The top piece is kinda a pain in the ass because of the clips. I really goobered the the channel up full of sealant. Buried the clips and had to clean the clips out a bit to get it to snap in. I'm sure you're aware that marking where the clips are with a bit of blue tape on the body helps a lot, but I'll repeat that here. I also end up using a little block of 1x4 wrapped in a microfiber and a rubber mallet. To help smack it into place. Kinda played wack o mole as I would get one side clipped in but trying to get the opposite side would pop out the completed side.

The rest of it went ok. I used a bit of butyl tape balled up to create a seal for each of the screws. I did end up with a bit of a gap between the bottom part and the corner parts. the screw would have been better closer to the end to hold them together. I considered a little silicon to seal that that gap but decided a bit of the butyl might have been better as it would not glue it all together and make it harder to take apart if needed. Time and other priorities, it did not get either.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I replaced the rear window seal a year or two ago. The top piece is kinda a pain in the ass because of the clips. I really goobered the the channel up full of sealant. Buried the clips and had to clean the clips out a bit to get it to snap in. I'm sure you're aware that marking where the clips are with a bit of blue tape on the body helps a lot, but I'll repeat that here. I also end up using a little block of 1x4 wrapped in a microfiber and a rubber mallet. To help smack it into place. Kinda played wack o mole as I would get one side clipped in but trying to get the opposite side would pop out the completed side.

The rest of it went ok. I used a bit of butyl tape balled up to create a seal for each of the screws. I did end up with a bit of a gap between the bottom part and the corner parts. the screw would have been better closer to the end to hold them together. I considered a little silicon to seal that that gap but decided a bit of the butyl might have been better as it would not glue it all together and make it harder to take apart if needed. Time and other priorities, it did not get either.
Thanks for the tips, I'll need all the help I can get. Nothing on this car has been easy, I'm not expecting the last few trim pieces to be any different.
While cleaning up my garage this weekend I noticed (again) the few oil drop stains that came from the car. My priority list has been rearranged a bit now to include changing the seal on the rear dif and need to get the power steering rod / piston rebuild as well as new hoses. Guess that will have to happen as soon as possible. Wish I had the foresight to rip those off before while the car was up on skates being reassembled. Oh well, can't do it all at once with such a busy life.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A friend of mine in the office used to try and keep up. She tried to spend as much on her scrap booking and greeting card hobbies as her husband spent restoring a corvette. She could have opened a retail store with all the stuff she was having shipped to the office. I don't know if she filled their house with it or rented a storage unit.
It was a riot to watch from my perspective.
That was kind of the beginning of the end for that marriage.

Reactions: Master Hack

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Man BEAUTIFUL 69! You've really done a great job, car looks brand new! Going to follow your thread!
Wow thank you, very nice of you to say.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The car is coming along nicely!! Looks great and your almost done. If they’re ever Really done.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The car is coming along nicely!! Looks great and your almost done. If they’re ever Really done.
Thank you, and you're so right....they're never really done.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
So nice to have the car home again and all done. Windows are in, put front trim on today after work and will hopefully get the rear trim on tomorrow. Car was covered in auto body dust due to sitting around in the shop for days without glass, so was a bit of a job again cleaning it up. Still quite a bit more to clean but I got a good start on it. One of these days I hope to get around to installing the rear spoiler/wing.
Still have a list of mechanical issues to take care of but most of it isn't urgent. I want to replace the rear leaf springs and get a new lower progressive set of springs under the front end. Steering piston and hoses leak a bit and need a rebuild and the seal in the 9" dif needs to be replaced someday. I think there will always be something with these old cars.
20210428_191644.jpg

20210428_193951.jpg

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Got the car almost all put together, only 2 trim pieces in the grill missing now and the rear spoiler. After work today I installed the rear window trim, it went in a lot easier than expected. So I got it out and went for my 1st cruise around town, even found a small group of clasic cars guys in a parking lot sitting around enjoying the night. Little red 69 gets a serious amount of attention now, that red just pops and demands a 2nd look. Car ran like a top although I found out my speedometer isn't working, going to have to check that out.

20210429_202231.jpg

20210429_202252.jpg

101 - 120 of 156 Posts