Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!
<begin introduction>
We just pushed our first project car into the garage. I'm excited and want to share /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. She's a plain jane 69 coupe, picked it up for 750$. Came with both a 302 (orig) and a 351W. We're selling the 351, since hubby doesn't want my speeding tickets /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Needs new rear quarters and floor pans, for sure. Rear of the wheel wells are rusted through. FLOOR of the trunk is OK though.

We've decided its going to be a resto-mod. We just haven't quite decided on all the mods yet. Anyone have ideas for some moderate performance mods on a 302 that won't look 'silly' on our plain ole coupe?

She was completely stripped when we got her- looks like she was one step away from a roll cage and 5 point restraints. Seats, etc are in good condition, good luck for us.

Like I said, we're in for a busy couple of years. We've both wanted a Mustang for SO long, while this coupe is not our "dream car", it seemed like a good place to start. Consider it practice, i guess, for when we find a 67-ish vert, or a fastback of some kind, pre-70's.

Anyways, looking forward to reading lots. I'd post pics, but they're too scary /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
<end intro>

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Welcome to the forum ponygirl. Don't let hubby know you hang around here, hehe. Actually this is a neat place. You two will like the VMF. Congrats on the car purchase. You may consider keeping the 302 and using the heads from the 351W. That is the setup on my 65 coupe. Better yet, sell the 302 and keep the 351.

Keep us posted and include pics. My 65 coupe was a donor car at best, a real scrap heap. In a few weeks it will be on all fours again. Those cars are definately worth saving. Have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ALLRIGGGHHT! Another GRRL!!! Welcome aboard! As for just a plain Jane....most projects start that way...look at mine!(Junkyard Dog) You are ahead of the game at this point!

Glad to see you here, post lots, and have fun...I've learned alot just browsing, and OH YEAH, Welcome to your new addiction! If you don't post, you'll be looking! So go ahead! Post pics!

Renee'

·
Registered
680 Posts
congrads. on your purchase, and also, for coming here. This is the Best site on the net for old Mustangs...Welcome, and please post often, and let us know how the project is coming.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,403 Posts
Welcome ponygrll. You've come to the right place. No plain janes here, they're ALL beautiful Mustangs. One thing Renee here did not mention, though, all girls must show the obligatory belly button the first time they post/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Its not that we really want to see it, you know, its just the rules/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
NO pictures are too scary for us. I have 4 Mustangs (used to have another that got stolen and a '68 Cougar) and the most I ever paid for one was our newest edition, a '69 sportsroof for $2500, so you can just image what my $500 '66 coupe looked like when I bought it, or even better, my son's $200 '65 coupe *LOL*.

Good mods for a plain jane '69 coupe? In my daughter's '69 coupe we put seats from a '93 Mustang and real 3 point seat belts, nice sound system and a bunch of eye candy under the hood on the mildly built 302. Oh, it does have a '69 style hood scoop with turn signals, and deep dish aluminum slotted mags. It started as a $1500 project car, but was in remarkable shape for the price.

Welcome to the best place in the world for Vintage Mustang enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Sounds like the perfect car to make it the way you want. Congrants and have fun.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Another vote for keeping the 351W instead of the 302. If the W is a 69 they are supposed to be the best year for heads, I think the intake/exhaust valves are bigger. Course, I'm not biased or anything/forums/images/icons/wink.gif!

·
Registered
17 Posts
don;t get disapointed sometimes you will get lots of work done and other days you won;t.Mine sat for 8years before I got started. Pro street 69 mach 1 good luck

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
"Like I said, we're in for a busy couple of years. We've both wanted a Mustang for SO long, while this coupe is not our "dream car", it seemed like a good place to start. Consider it practice, i guess, for when we find a 67-ish vert, or a fastback of some kind, pre-70's."

Its going to become your dream car because by the time you finish it you'll love it or hate it (dream or nightmare) and likely it'll be a bit of each! Whatever, you'll have pride in your accomplishment and a lot less money in your pocketbook...been there, done that! Since you're choosing restomod, I'd use the 351w. Why? Well because you can rebuild it for tame hp and still be happy with the way it performs. If you choose the 302, you'll be wanting to hop it up to get the performance and then it becomes less of a streetable (meaning fun) car. The only way I'd choose the 302 is if the 351w were a bad rebuilder and the 302 a good one. Restomod means being creative. Before you start, decide what you wish to do. Visualize the end result and then work to make it happen. Like buying a new car, plan what engine, what options, what colors, etc. Write it down and remember your goal as you move along from project to project. If you get discouraged, leave the project alone for awhile (take a vacation from it but don't go on a leave-of-absence). Never try to get something done at one time, rather work on it until you find a good break point then quit for the day. It'll be there the next time you want to work on it. Eventually things get done then one day you'll be close and finish it up. Don't expect to jump in the car the day its finished since you'll still have several weeks of commissioning it to work out the bugs and get things in tune.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Welcome to the VMF! You're going to love it here. As have others, I vote for keeping the 351, especially if the coupe was originally an H or M-code car. I know you can speed just as easily with the 302 as with the 351, so that's not a good reason to sell the 351, IMHO. I have a 351 in my '69 and I love it!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Welcome to VMF Ponygrrl..Besides the 65 Fastback I am building for my wife Robin, I also have a 69 Coupe that is waiting in the wings for a restomod when I am done with the Fastback. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome!!! Take your time and try to plan things so you only have to do it once. Sometimes people make changes in the middle of a project, setting them back and costing more money. I also vote for the 351W, since you can start mild and grow wild!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 69 Grande coupe that as most will say is not what they would buy. But it was a nice car to restore and has taken One top prize this year, a best of class at a second show So I think she looks fine to me. To bad you were not closer as I have lots of 69 parts in the shop, also keep the 351W it is a great engine. I am getting 20 mpg cruisin at 70 mph on a trip to a show and back..100% stock.
Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts