Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a Coupe, my opinion is "Yuck" to either... But the molded trunk lid is the less ugly of the two. Coupes have clean lines--they look the best naked, IMO.
All opinions are welcome and I appreciate yours as well. I'm more heading to a mean muscle car look, not a oem restore. I'm not implying "mean=deck spoiler", but I've always liked cars with a spoiler trim option. I think I'm heading down the molded look though. It's a plus that it's fiberglass too.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Sounds like they're doing a kit for a 69 version of the CS/GT.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Your car is your canvas, do what you'll be proud to drive. But to me, a spoiler looks out of place on a coupe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your car is your canvas, do what you'll be proud to drive. But to me, a spoiler looks out of place on a coupe.
I searched though Google Images for mustang coupes with spoilers and some coupes didn't look good with the bolt on spoiler. I think some pictures had a WAY to large(high) deck spoiler. I just want something low profile and clean looking.

I have a few months before I decide on a spoiler so its no rush. However, didn't the 69 coupe have an option for a deck spoiler?

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Never seen any documentation on such an option.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The bolt on for that blue mustang looks awful. Doesn't even look like a FB spoiler either. I'm really looking for something a bit less extreme. I dunno, the more I look at pictures, the more I question the idea of a spoiler...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a 2007 GT that was totaled in November (guy pulled out in from of me). I liked the low profile bolt-on spoiler my '07 had. The bluish Mustang's spoiler doesn't look right... it's to tall or something.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
You asked for opinion's. They both look out of place. When you put any kind of spoiler on a 69-70 coupe makes it look like a rice-burnner wanna be. PS---the coupe's line's do look better without one. (just my opinion) Be a good question for a poll maybe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You asked for opinion's. They both look out of place. When you put any kind of spoiler on a 69-70 coupe makes it look like a rice-burnner wanna be.
I'm actually agreeing that the bolt-on looks out of place. I really appreciate all the opinions because it makes me look at it from others perspectives.

I have a few months before I close off my truck restore and cap a new lid on it, so I've got plenty of time to let my brain churn.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Look at page 10 and 11 of the link in my signature. I had a lot of issues with mine and had to pay for the extra labor to get it all to work right, so be prepared just in case. Page 15 has a picture as well. I plan on adding a prototype Mach 1 stripe to the back to fill up the large flat surface. Go to page 24 for some pictures of it on the car. Ignore the bad alignment, that is due to the trunk weatherstrip being installed wrong. You'll see the spoiler creates a large flat surface on the back which is why I'm adding the stripes and also why I did the black out treatment. In my opinion you need to do something to breakup the large amount of solid color. Seeing it in person is the only way to really appreciate it and I think it looks good and is somewhat unique compared to the many other options available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at page 10 and 11 of the link in my signature. I had a lot of issues with mine and had to pay for the extra labor to get it all to work right, so be prepared just in case. Page 15 has a picture as well. I plan on adding a prototype Mach 1 stripe to the back to fill up the large flat surface. Go to page 24 for some pictures of it on the car. Ignore the bad alignment, that is due to the trunk weatherstrip being installed wrong. You'll see the spoiler creates a large flat surface on the back which is why I'm adding the stripes and also why I did the black out treatment. In my opinion you need to do something to breakup the large amount of solid color. Seeing it in person is the only way to really appreciate it and I think it looks good and is somewhat unique compared to the many other options available.
Thanks! I'm checking it out now. I've also bookmarked that forum!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I kicked this one back and forth too on my latest car. Mine is a '69, and I had one of the re-pop spoilers in my parts stash. Since i was going for a certain look (and I was putting on a glass hood) I figured I would put it on....

I'm not 100% sold on the look, but it is starting to grow on me.....I do have several good trunk lids and when i painted the car I did paint one of the lids with the car, so if I decide I hate it, I can change it out...

The only real side shot I have is when the car was in primer last summer...
Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I kicked this one back and forth too on my latest car. Mine is a '69, and I had one of the re-pop spoilers in my parts stash. Since i was going for a certain look (and I was putting on a glass hood) I figured I would put it on....

I'm not 100% sold on the look, but it is starting to grow on me.....I do have several good trunk lids and when i painted the car I did paint one of the lids with the car, so if I decide I hate it, I can change it out...

The only real side shot I have is when the car was in primer...
Tom

I think the issue with that spoiler is that it sits to high up on the trunk and it seems proportionally too tall. I started looking more at pictures (google images) and I found this car with the bolt on a bit further back.

I wish they had something a bit less aggressive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts