Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new circuit board today from NPD for my '69 sportsroof (non-tach/non-A/C). It has a note on it stating to make sure the temp/gas gauges are not grounded on the case and that a piece of card board should be positioned just right over the gauge posts before attaching the circuit board. My dash had 2 cardboard strips across the the posts (each strip attaches to 2 posts). Is this enough, or should I fabricate a new one, "blocking off" the entire dash area, instead of leaving the center exposed like original?

On a related question. It appears that the '69 bulbs just snap into the dash and don't need any wires running to them, as they appear to get both the power and ground from the circuit board. Am I correct here? Where do I get the bulbs. I looked in the NPD catalog and they erroneously list the same dash bulbs for '65-'73.

Last question ... beside each of the light sockets there's either a screw hole or a threaded post. Are the lighst secured by a screw or nut?

Thanks in advance. My dash was destroyed when I bought it, had no lights in it, fried beyond believe circuit board, and appears to also be missing many screws/nuts (and I really don't want to take apart my '69 coupe to see how it works if someone can point me in the right direction without having to do so).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just had mine out today. I can tell you that the lights have no wires on them they fit in a socket that fits into the back of the dash. So I guess you would say they get their power and ground that way on the circuit board. As far as the bulbs I got mine at the Ford dealer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Like the other poster said, the bulbs just push and turn in. They are powered by the circuit board.
If you have trouble finding some bulbs, let me know. I have some in my tool box that I have taken from different dashes. I will send you some. Let me know...
Can't help with the threaded posts next to the bulbs. Can't remember what they are for.....not to important, though...

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
i bought my bulbs from mustangs unlimited. the numbers for the 65-68 are 1895 and for the 69-70 are 194. they are push in and do run off of the circuit board. not sure on the screw in studs. on the ammeter (or voltage guage can't remember) there is two studs in the center that should have a plastic cap that covers them. that holds the guage to the circuit board. the others should have studs that have speed nut on them and they hold them on the circuit board also. hope this helps.

·
Registered
655 Posts
What did I miss? Did you get another 69??

I just re-used the cardboard pieces. Took some time to properly isolate the gauges from the cluster housing, but seems to work fine. If I recall correctly, there were two holes in the housing used to attach the circuit board. Hopefully that helps.

By the way, I swapped my standard gauges for the grey Mach ones. Left the blue light covers out, so they are pretty noticeable at night. Let me know if you need any cluster parts. Ended up with many spare pieces.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You will need to find the little twist in holders. I was missing a couple so I bought a dash on ehay (I was switching to the woodgrain anyway) They are little black plastic pieces that trwist in 90 degrees. I got my bulbs at Pep boys or Autozone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts